Michael Mann refuses to surrender data to court - contempt?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by WeToddDid2, Jul 6, 2017.

1. jem

jem

its so obvious mann hockey stick is baloney. Mann took thermometer records and graphed them onto proxy records... and once he graphed the thermometer records he made the current proxy temperatures disappear so that no one would realize that some of the tree ring proxies show temperature to be much lower not higher.

How do they explain the proxies show lower temps than the thermometers indicating we are not really warming.... they say the trees are broken.

here is the argument set up at skeptical science... (they then proceed to say the proxies are broken.)

Tree-rings diverge from temperature after 1960
    Actual reconstructions "diverge" from the instrumental series in the last part of 20th century. For instance, in the original hockey stick (ending 1980) the last 30-40 years of data points slightly downwards. In order to smooth those time series one needs to "pad" the series beyond the end time, and no matter what method one uses, this leads to a smoothed graph pointing downwards in the end whereas the smoothed instrumental series is pointing upwards — a divergence (Climate Audit).

===

if you go to the link exthinker gave us... at skeptical science (the al gore sponsored blog by a former cartoonist) you see they made the argument there was no MWP but cut off the graph to exclude the MWP.

luckily in the comments a nice person gave us a link to this page and these graphs... showing an MWP in at least some of the ice cores..

http://www.foresight.org/nanodot/?p=3553

#31     Jul 6, 2017
    WeToddDid2 likes this.
  2. jem

jem

by the way - exthinker gave us a link to procedural victories for Mann which would be expected. Those are not victories. Wait to the facts come out. Or in the case in Canada... wait til Mann fails to produce any facts supporting his "hide the decline" hockey stick.

#32     Jul 6, 2017
    WeToddDid2 likes this.
  3. Cuddles

Cuddles

Figured as much, I've made it a habit of skimming through unheard of sources to gauge bias. If i still have doubts, I Google their credentials. Didn't bother this time as it was pretty transparent.

Yeah, I go through all that after reading just the headline, I'm not wasting my time on fake knowledge.

#33     Jul 6, 2017
    exGOPer likes this.
  4. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Yeah... this is the guy that climate alarmists worship...

John Cook is now desperately trying to cover up his background that he was employed as a cartoonist for over a decade with no prior employment history in academia or climate science.

The Truth about Skeptical Science

http://www.populartechnology.net/2012/03/truth-about-skeptical-science.html

"I'm not a climatologist or a scientist but a self employed cartoonist" - John Cook, Skeptical Science

#34     Jul 6, 2017
    WeToddDid2 likes this.
  5. jem

jem

it should have said grafted.

#35     Jul 6, 2017
  6. Cuddles

Cuddles

He's also a physicist (your source) with high honors so I fail to see how his chosen profession invalidates his scientific credentials. In any case, never really heard of the guy, but there's no need to be disingenuous. It's like saying Obama was a community organizer while ignoring his JD magna cum laude from Harvard and his professorship in constitutional law.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    #36     Jul 6, 2017
  7. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Cook has no academic or meaningful scientific background. He is merely a cartoonist pushing a political agenda.

#37     Jul 7, 2017
  8. Cuddles

Cuddles

[​IMG]

Your source:

"I did a physics degree at the University of Queensland..."

#38     Jul 7, 2017
  9. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Those of us with Engineering degrees have a term for those with physics degrees - it is "unemployed". Especially the ones who fail to get into any PhD program and then claim they graduated with "honors" and decided to go down a different path.

The few employed physics majors are normally found asking "Do you want fries with that?"

Similar to how the few employed environmental science majors are out fixing HVAC systems.

#39     Jul 7, 2017
    Tom B likes this.
  10. Cuddles

Cuddles

That's cute, those with physics degree often thumb their nose down at engineers for the simplicity of the core material. I know and studied with people in both fields and I'd pick a physicist for most math based science 9 times out of 10.

Also, quit lying
    https://www.physics.gmu.edu/astronomers-and-physicists-have-the-lowest-unemployment-rate/

#40     Jul 7, 2017