Michael Lewis to write script for Livermore film?

Discussion in 'Music, Movies and TV' started by Maverick74, Dec 21, 2016.

1. DJ Qualls could play that guy....they both look weird/creepy and smart and neurotic and obsessive.
    And they're about the same age too...late 30's/early 40's'ish.
    [​IMG] ;)o_O
    Michael Douglas plays excellent finance people...Wall Street 1987, The Game 1997, A Perfect Murder 1998 -- but he's kind of old now.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    #11     Dec 22, 2016
    JackRab likes this.
  2. mlawson71

mlawson71

I think that if Tom Hardy loses some weight he could pull the role off.

#12     Dec 22, 2016
  3. Maybe you misunderstood the American lingo of "gloss over". My concern is that not enough time would be spent in the movie showing young Livermore in the Bucket shops. I want to see young Jesse take those bucket shop's money!

Exactly, it is a movie set in the past, there will be many moments in the movie where you could say to yourself "Can't do that anymore....". If you happen to catch a scene with Livermore riding a steam powered train then feel free to say to yourself "Can't do that anymore....".

#13     Dec 22, 2016
    JackRab likes this.
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

Livermore was 63 when died...

#14     Dec 22, 2016
  5. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

Perhaps Paul Bettany...

#15     Dec 22, 2016
  6. I was under the impression Livermore was on the tall side tall and considered handsome by the ladies during his prime. While I like Steve Buscemi as an actor, I don't think he fits the bill. From what I recall reading of Livermore in a few different books, I don't think there is anything alluding to his being a funny little character. He suffered bouts of depression throughout his life and would likely have been considered bipolar by today's diagnostic standards.

#16     Dec 22, 2016
    Visaria likes this.
  7. Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    #17     Dec 22, 2016
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

I don't see Lewis doing a TV show on network TV but perhaps a series for HBO. There is an appetite for period style dramas "Boardwalk Empire" and financial shows "Billions" on HBO and Showtime. I actually think this story is so complex and layered that a movie might not be appropriate. A film would have to gloss over his early life quickly and focus on just one main event, perhaps the crash of 29. A long series could actually focus in detail on each decade of his life and would be fascinating.

#18     Dec 22, 2016
    Optionpro007 likes this.
  9. Good point. You might have something there. I just hope Lewis and his collaborators stay true to Livermore's story. To that end, it's a good sign that Lewis considers Reminiscences to be the best book ever written on market speculation:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/michael-lewis-says-this-book-is-the-best-ever-written-on-stock-trading-2016-12-06

If they stay true to the story, it'll be a keeper and I'll be owning a copy.

#19     Dec 22, 2016
  10. JackRab

JackRab

I'm not exactly sure what was considered handsome over 100 years ago... but I'm pretty sure even then Golddiggers were gonna Dig Gold! Money buys bitches!!!! (is that a 50cent line?)...

Steve looks pretty bipolar and depressive to me lots of times....

#20     Dec 22, 2016
    d08 likes this.