Michael Douglas says Gordon Gekko was wrong -- greed is not good

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by SteveNYC, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Michael Douglas says Gordon Gekko was wrong -- greed is not good

Michael Douglas as Gordon Gekko in 1987's "Wall Street." (Twentieth Century Fox)

By Jim Puzzanghera

February 27, 2012, 2:28 p.m.
    Reporting from Washington—

In a new FBI ad, actor Michael Douglas says his Gordon Gekko character was wrong -- greed is not good after all.

As part of a campaign to fight securities fraud, the FBI released a public service announcement on Monday featuring Douglas. It begins with a clip from his Academy Award-winning role in 1987's "Wall Street."

"The point is, ladies and gentlemen, greed, for lack of a better word, is good," Gekko, a corporate raider, says at a shareholder meeting of a company he his trying to take over, in a line that become legendary. "Greed is right.”

Not so fast, says Douglas, who reprised the role of Gekko in 2010's sequel, "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps."

He notes that Gekko cheated innocent investors out of their savings.

"The movie was fiction, but the problem is real," he said.

"Our economy is increasingly dependent on the success and the integrity of the financial markets," Douglas continues. "If a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is."

In the first "Wall Street," Gekko is undone by his protege, played by Charlie Sheen, who wears a wire to help authorities nab him for securities fraud.

Douglas isn't asking people to go that far. He urges the public to learn how to identify securities fraud and to report insider training, directing them to contact their local FBI office or submit a tip online at tips.fbi.gov.

2. Ok let's start with congress then.

3. what a friggin farce.

I suppose the price of data storage is coming down. Collect a lot of information on people, places and things and do nothing with it.

Shouldn't the FBI be embarassed no one was prosecuted in the last round of the financial crisis?

4. I posted the news for you guys to laugh at.

5. Of course, GREED isn't good.... depends upon how one defines the term.

Lots of folks believe "accomplishing success through honest, hard work + desiring to keep your own property" = GREED.

Those people are mostly tit-sucking parasites and Democrats... both of which the world would be better off without.

6. [​IMG]

Where's the arrest warrant on this oaf then?

[​IMG]

cheers

7. The sheer greed of modern society is an absolute fucking disgrace.

My dear old Grandfather would be turning in his grave....

...If I hadn't sold the plot and had him cremated.

8. Says the guy who's worth $250-$300MM. Are those lips on Pelosi's superherpes? G-damn she scares the F out of me. That pic does more damage than the "frozen breath" scene in The Exorcist.

9. It's the white man's fault. :D

They are the greediest bastards on Earth.

Little respect for others and things.

eom.

10. " We pick that rabbit out of the hat while everybody sits out there wondering how the hell we did it.

Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you .........?

When I get a hold of the son of a bitch who leaked this, I'm gonna tear his eyeballs out and I'm gonna suck his fucking skull.

It's not a question of enough, pal.
    It's a zero sum game, somebody wins, somebody loses.
    Money itself isn't lost or made, it's simply transferred from one perception to another.

Greed is right, greed works.
    Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
    Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind.

And greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA...."

Classic Gordo.

looks like tradin' 2 me.

s

:cool:

#10     Feb 29, 2012