Miami seen as highest disaster risk city

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ZZZzzzzzzz, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Miami seen as highest disaster risk city

SAN FRANCISCO, Aug. 3 (UPI) -- A group that measures natural disaster risk for U.S. cities ranks Miami with the greatest risk while Mesa, Ariz., and Milwaukee tied for the lowest.

SustainLane.com, based in San Francisco, annually measures disasters such as hurricanes, tornadoes and earthquakes, and how they can affect the largest 50 U.S. cities.

Miami was ranked the riskiest because it rests on an exposed peninsula vulnerable to major hurricanes and storm surge flooding, the report said. The second riskiest city is New Orleans, followed by Oakland, San Francisco, Honolulu, San Jose (Calif.), Los Angeles, Houston and Long Beach (Calif.) with some of these cities tied in their risk category.

Among the least risky cities, Mesa and Milwaukee were followed by Cleveland, El Paso (Texas), Phoenix, Tucson, Colorado Springs (Colo.), Detroit, Fresno (Calif.), Minneapolis, and Philadelphia.

Chicago was ranked the 12th safest city, Dallas at 22, Washington, 27, and New York, 32.

"As Hurricane Katrina demonstrated, natural disasters can impact cities drastically when it comes to the economy, environment and public health," said SustainLane.com CEO James Elsen.

"We want readers to be aware of the risks they may face, as well as provide them with expert advise from emergency response organizations."

2. Pabst

Pabst

No doubt if it a Cat4 or 5 ala Andrew were to hit Dade or Broward counties the property damage would be unlike anything the U.S. has ever seen. However Miami is no more at risk for that type of storm than any where else in the South Atlantic or Gulf Coast. I'm not a geologist but from what I've read over the years both Tampa and New Orleans are more "floodable" than Miami.

While I'm intimidated by the threat of a Killer Cane, I take some solace that one generally has a few days notice of the storms arrival. Having lived most of my life in "safe" Chicago, I can remember several times when tornados, which provide just moments of warning, have killed a score or more in one location.
    In fact I remember a tornado killing over 20 people in suburban Lamont one afternoon in the early 90's on a day where it barely rained in downtown Chicago. Scary shit. Not to mention a Californian's fear from the lack of warning before one's floor, ceiling and walls start uncontrollably shaking.........

3. ElCubano

ElCubano

according to what I've heard this season wont be as active as last 2 seasons...I rode out hurricane andrew and it was no joke boys. The eye wasnt even near my house in the grove area and i still felt like my house was going to rip from the ground. The destruction i saw down in the kendall/homestead where the eye went thru was unbelievable..it was surreal..

and New Orleans was more of a unique situation...we dont live in a toilet bowl..the damage in New Orleans was mostly from what happened after the hurricane...like the levees breaking, not from winds or rain...although in andrew i did see 40 ft boats 3 blocks from the marina ...

4. Pabst

Pabst

I drove through Homestead last Friday on my way to and back from Key Largo. Everything's new. The pics I've seen from Andrew are BRUTAL!

BTW: You ever been to Scotty's Landing at Dinner Key Marina?

5. ElCubano

ElCubano

yes...Im a local Grove hood rat...Used to box right next door at the old Virrick Gym ( old schoool ) ..Now its the new Fresh Market next to Monty's. Thats my area pabst..please do let me know next time you are in the area..id like to buy you a brewski..Happy Hour at Tarpin Bend in Miracle Mile is pretty good...peace

6. Pabst

Pabst

I'm back to Chicago for several weeks but we'll get together as soon as I return, bro!