Miami or South Florida --

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by miami-trader, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Very true....

Anything (not in the Everglades) you can dock a boat at in S. Florida is going to be very expensive.

Any house with 4 bedrooms and 2 baths on the water has already been torn down.

$150,000 will get a 2 or 3 bedroom villa (attached house) 10 miles from the beach in Palm Beach County. (with some "urban blight" area exceptions near I-95). I would guess the same is true in Dade and Broward.

I just sold my house in (central) Boca. 4 Bedroom, 4 Bath. But one bath was a cabana bath out by the pool. Because I did NOT have a 1/2 bath (powder room), my house was a relatively hard sell. Not a gated community (most are). And still I got approx. $500k.

I am now renting and looking for something on the beach. I KNOW FOR SURE I cannot get a HOUSE on the beach. Nor on the Intracoastal for anything close to what I sold my house for.

I accept that if I want to live on the beach and "only" spend $500k, I will be in an apartment. Which is actually OK with me, as long as my maintenance isn't outrageous; but most of them are! Some places the monthly maintenance can be close to, as high as, or even higher than the mortgage payments.

Looking at some pre-construction, but I don't know if it's a good move or not. Arguments to be made on both sides of the issue. But to me, it is tying up a lot of money for a couple of years, and still having to live somewhere else and waste $ on rent. (Or, could buy, sell, etc....but I am not a real estate person, and seems like a big hassle).

However, if anyone can find me a 4 bedroom house on the water (Intracoastal, or Beach), for $150k, (even with only 2 bathrooms), I will find a way to fix it up and make it livable. Hell, I'll take a few of them! But I am pretty damn sure there is no such animal in the 3 counties (Palm, Broward, Dade).

El Cubano, if I come to Dade, will you teach me to "habla" well enough to survive???:):):) (In exchange, I will give you some more than generous trades in our next FFL:))

Peace,
    :)RS

#41     Jun 24, 2003
  2. Check out the Ocean View Apartments.

They're the only apartment building in Boca Raton that's "on the ocean". They also have their own private beach.

#42     Jun 24, 2003
  3. ElCubano

ElCubano

This time around im not going down like that.....Have you heard from Daniel_M???

pre construction has worked well for some of my friends in the south beach area.....but like you said their money was tied up for quite some time, but in the end according to what they tell me they are up over 100% if they were to sell at present market values...I dont know that to be 100% accurate....peace

#43     Jun 24, 2003
  4. 4420 North Bay Road
    Miami Beach, Florida 33140

$7,995,000

Elegant wide bay Mediterranean estate with 6 bedooms and 6 1/2 baths, this soon-to-be completed residence will be true to the architectural style of a fine old Mizner home.

Glorious bay views from every room. A huge master suite with terrace. living room with fireplace, formal dining room, family kitchen and media room. Outside dining areas, kitchen, lovely pool and spa. A 4 car garage completes this outstanding home.

"This is how we do it..!!":cool:

#44     Jun 24, 2003
  5. Scec

Scec

Since the topic here is S. FLA, I have a question I was looking for some help with. I plan on moving to Miami in Oct03, and was looking for a trading room to work out of. I am currently an independent floor trader in S&P futures in Chicago and use my own $$$.
    I would like to find a situation where I could trade on my own, and share office space and expenses, but without any financial ties between myself and others. I am trying to avoid the isolation of working from home, and I am not sure if any 'prop shops' would be a suitable place for me.
    If anyone has any tips, I would be appriecative. Thanks !

#45     Jun 24, 2003
  6. gms

gms

The Keys. I'm so thinking I want to move there from NY. But NY spoils you. It's the capital of the world, everything's here. Makes me wish I was born somewhere else just so it'd be easier to move to the Keys. Or Bermuda.

#46     Jun 24, 2003
  7. Martillo

Martillo

:) I live in Miami, but work from Generic up in Aventura.....

#47     Jun 24, 2003
  8. moffitt

moffitt

#48     Jun 24, 2003
  9. moffitt

moffitt

10. El Cubano my Republican Amigo:)...

The pre-construction really seems like a good way to go if you can afford to tie up the money, and if we don't get hit with a burst in the housing market. Seems unlikely, but as I said, my friend at Williams Island has seen her value go down (I wonder why??), so anything is possible.

100% does not seem excessive, if the ROI is based on the 20% you need to put up (no mortgages available on pre-construction).

From what I was told (don't know how good the info is), the builders will (try) and up the prices by that amount on unsold units as the project approaches completion. But again, this is something I am really unfamiliar with, and have only just very recently become aware of the entire concept.

If I paid more attention to real estate, and less to partying and chasing women when I was younger, I could have been a very wealthy guy by now. I was renting a house in Aspen in the 70s that I could have bought for $75k. Not that I had the money to finance it, but if I had the vision, I would have found a way. Two and a half acres on the river. Can't imagine what the property is worth now.

You live in the Grove? I lived on Bird Road one year when I was at UM. (Was at the infamous Doors concert in the Grove that year too). I now play golf with my friend that lives in Pinecrest. I drive down every other weekend. I should really take a "nostalgia" trip around the Grove. The campus as well for that matter. I pass it by, but haven't gone in. Last time I was on campus was in 1969. First time I went down there after I moved down here in '95, I didn't even realize that I passed the campus. The elevated RR tracks made everything look completely different. Denny's is now where the restaurant we used to go was (Juniors). Everything looks so different. Only thing that is basically the same is the Holiday Inn. That big office tower next to it wasn't there, and the shops on Red Road (do they still call it the "Miracle Mile"?) are 100% unfamiliar.

Since I go there every other weekend (we play at Deering Bay. He's my rich friend), it would be cool if you and I could arrange to meet. PM me if you want to work something out!!

No word from Dan_M. But I took a look at my buddy list and see he had made his last post on 6/17....not that long ago. He goes MIA on occasion. He needs a little baiting from Traderfut2000 to get his blood flowing I guess. But I am sure he will be around for our FFL. Our reliable pal Commisso will track him down (you listening, Commisso?). Anyway, it will all fall into place.

Peace,
    :)RS

#50     Jun 24, 2003