Miami Mayor Recalled By Voters Over Too High Tax Rates

Discussion in 'Politics' started by cstfx, Mar 16, 2011.

1. cstfx

cstfx

Ousted Miami Mayor Carlos Alvarez said Wednesday that not only were the last 24 hours in which he was recalled by voters "extremely difficult," but also the last two years in which his administration struggled to close huge budget deficits.

"A lot of people ask me 'How do you feel?'" he said during a news conference. "It's a sad day for me. But I'm also relieved."

Alvarez defended his budget, which included a property tax rate increase and salary raise for county employees in a county struggling to recover from the recession.

"I made a decision to recommend a budget that held services together as much as we could," he said, adding that it's not easy to confront four consecutive years of budget gaps.

"Everyone has an opinion. It's much harder to actually make decisions and live with them," he said.

With 100 percent of precinct votes counted, 88 percent voted to oust the mayor Tuesday, making Miami-Dade the most populous area, with more than 2.5 million people, ever to recall a local official. Just 12 percent of the 204,500 who cast ballots were in favor of allowing Alvarez to finish his second term, which ends in 2012.

Read more: http://foxnews.com/politics/2011/03...whelmingly-choose-remove-mayor/#ixzz1GoNFMt84

A sign of things to come?

2. Ricter

Ricter

I don't think so, that county is heavily populated by wealthy retirees, no? Their view is a bit skewed. The November elections as a whole demonstrated that Americans know they need to pay taxes to get services, so they defeated most of the anti-tax measures that were on the ballots.