MI5 chief warns 300 UK banks on web-based attacks from state organizations in China

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by ASusilovic, Dec 4, 2007.

1. From Finextra.com:

The head of the British security service has sent a confidential letter to more than 300 chief executives and security chiefs at banks, accountants and legal firms warning them of a Web-based attack from state organisations in China.

In an unprecedented move, Jonathan Evans, director general of MI5 has warned business leaders and security chiefs that Chinese state organisations have been carrying out espionage against vital parts of of the UK economy, including the computer systems of financial services firms.

It is thought the letter warns companies of the possible threat from an electronic hack attack by Chinese state organisations, which are designed to defeat IT security systems to gain sensitive information. The letter acknowledges the strong economic and commercial reasons to do business with China, but highlight the need to manage the risks involved.

Some reports state that among the techniques used by Chinese groups are custom trojans which have been designed to hack into computer networks and steal confidential data.

2. maxpi

maxpi

I have a pal that has a brother that traces every attack on his server. They all come from Germany and China he says..

3. bgp

bgp

the Chinese gov. are our friends ! we can trust them.
    :)

bgp

4. Yeap, we American and Brits never spy or attack any countries. If we do, we do it in good faith.

5. Yeah it's only bad if the Chinese do it. It's ok for millions of American children to copy mp3s and software via bittorrent and steal intellectual property, ie term papers, and copy and cheat.

It's ok to be greedy, irresponsible, dress your daughters as whores, buy homes with no money in bank.

6. 11Blade

11Blade

I resent that! I am greedy and irresponsible and bought my home with no money in the bank.. but I DO NOT dress my daughter as a whore! I draw the line right there..

that would be offensive!

7. bgp

bgp

now listen here ! i don't like commies or other asses that hate christians and freedom for the common person.

bgp

8. bgp

bgp

not anymore . :)

bgp

9. I also heard that CIA planned the 911 attack.

10. If this is true, it is too sad.

#10     Dec 21, 2007