MGB: Journal

Discussion in 'Trading' started by MGB, Aug 5, 2001.

1. Hitman

Hitman

Sounded like you made some comment on MGB and he replied, and you deleted your post.

MGB only trades NVDA if I am not mistaken, feel free to add your notes to his journal.

I am sure a lot of people would love to see you in action, pulling points out of stocks like NVDA on a daily basis. Come on we can all learn from that.

#51     Aug 14, 2001
  2. tradeRX

tradeRX

Hitman. It's all in the wrist action. 8-D

#52     Aug 14, 2001
  3. MGB

MGB

Here are my stats so far for August.

STATS:
    Month-to-Date: +$185.81 (pretty pathetic to me)
    Total Shares Trades: 59,466 (counted buys and sells)
    Total Trades: 39
    Winning Trades: 23
    Losing Trades: 16
    Winning Percentage: 58.97%
    Losing Percentage: 41.03%
    Average Winning Trade: $5,075.45
    Average Losing Trade: $4,889.64

REFELECTION:
    I'm surprised I'm over 50,000 shares traded.

I like my shooting percentage. It's almost a 60-40 ratio which is a pretty good ratio.

My Average Winning Trade ($5,075.45) is higher than my Average Losing Trade ($4,889.64). This is good but not good enough. The differences needs to be more dramatic, like 2:1.

My entries are good and they should be better. My exits need to be sharper to reduce the size of the losing trades.

MGB

#53     Aug 15, 2001
  4. tymjr

tymjr

At no time is being in the black pathetic.

#54     Aug 15, 2001
  5. MGB

MGB

Yesterday (Tuesday), NVDA posted a lot of positive news.

-- 2 for 1 stock split
    -- Beat estimates, 0.43 beats 0.41
    -- Introduce new chip, more powerful than ever
    -- Introduce Fujitsu that will use the new chip
    -- etc

Would you expect NVDA to pop up significantly at the open? If yes, how would you play it?

MGB

#55     Aug 15, 2001
  6. If your average win was 5075.45 and average loss was 4889.64 you'd be up $38,501! You have to do your math gain ;)

If you had 23 wins and 16 loses and you are up 185 then I'm almost certain that your average loss is much greater than your average win.

Nevertheless, congrats on surviving this market.

Bill

#56     Aug 15, 2001
  7. MGB

MGB

Ahem... Thanks for the catch...

Forgot some divsions...

Average Winning Trade: $220.67
    Average Losing Trade: $305.60

Now, that is a problem. Average Losing Trade is higher than Average Winning Trade. Poohey.

MGB

#57     Aug 15, 2001
  8. MGB

MGB

i found out that http://www.ishares.com is providing another iShare with Goldman Sachs called, "Goldman Sachs Semiconductor Index Fund", trading symbol is IGW. It has been trading since 7/10/2001.

NVDA is not a member of $SOX but it is a member of IGW. There are 54 members in IGW.

I just looked at IGW. It trades very flat which is surprising to me. I would expect more movement like $SOX. Hmm...

MGB

#58     Aug 15, 2001
  9. and ........ 1400 shares in total volume, no wonder its flat ;)

#59     Aug 15, 2001
  10. MGB

MGB

Wednesday, 15 2001

I'm up +137, another net positive day for this week. Two more to go.

It could have been much better. It could have been really worse. I was +256 when I suffered a temporary internet connection problem. I was in a trade when I lost connection. Once the connection was restored several minutes later, NVDA had already dropped significantly. Ooooh, I just couldn't press the Sell button and take a massive loss like that.

Instead, I decides to have steel in my bulls. heh heh

I left the trade alone (1,500 shares) and took a shower. Once I returned the trade did go down, down, down another 2 pts before turning up.

...steel in my bulls...

I kept holding, holding, holding. I wanted it to reach 87.55 to break even. It was nerve-wracking because Futures were going down, down, down while NVDA, somehow, stayed flat or popped up every now and then. I don't know where all the buyers came from. There was no technical reason for buyers to be here. NVDA should've been down to 85.60 but it was still hovering around 87.00. Anyway, I got the pop I wanted and managed to get out.

Whew...

Let's talk about the opening. Sure enough, NVDA gapped up big time as I suspected that it would. All that good news for NVDA yesterday translated into big time market orders at the open.

I did consider buying 500 or 1,000 before market opens. It was trading around 85.60. It would've been a good 2.5 pt move. But I was more afraid of being wrong than right.

Next time, this "good news" situation happens, I'll be there.

MGB
    --------------------------
    Risk is a four-letter word

#60     Aug 15, 2001