MGB: Journal

Discussion in 'Trading' started by MGB, Aug 5, 2001.

1. MGB

MGB

I woke up late. Missed the early morning action.

After starting way below the open, NVDA kept going up and up and up. Might as well jump on and ride it.

Oh, wait a minute. It's reversing. Nah, no problem. It will go through consolidation and then continue going up. I'll just sit and wait. Sure enough, NVDA sits around at the top. It's just a matter of time before it continues going up.

Oopsie, NVDA just dropped several points. Drat. Whatever happened to my "consolidation" theory? I better get out of this train ride.

Wonderful, I'm starting the day in negative territory. Let me just sit and watch the action.

Hmmm, looks like NVDA is consolidating. Stoch is below 25. Seems like a good time to jump in long. In we go!

That was just lovely, NVDA decided to go down a few more points. And a few more points... Better jump off again.

That negative territory I was telling you about? It's bigger now.

Ok, let's short sell this puppy.

Jeez... NVDA wants to go up this time? Sigh. It's 9am PDT and we're already in the dead zone. I'm outta here.

Next time, I should wake up on time. Yawn.

Time to mow the grass.

MGB

#11     Aug 7, 2001
  2. Magna

Magna Administrator

Michael,

Might as well jump on and ride it. Oh, wait a minute. It's reversing...Oopsie, NVDA just dropped several points...I better get out of this train ride.

Stoch is below 25. Seems like a good time to jump in long. In we go! That was just lovely, NVDA decided to go down a few more points. And a few more points... Better jump off again.

Ok, let's short sell this puppy. Jeez... NVDA wants to go up this time? Sigh.

NVDA is a heavily manipulated wild 'n wooly stock. Only tradeRX seems to be able to jump on and ride that baby for all she's worth, naturally in the direction he wants it to go! The rest of us mere mortals get cranked and whipsawed like you did, sorry to hear. And if you were again playing 500 share lots like your previous post you took a serious hit today. Again, sorry to hear that, but it's a clean slate tomorrow so best of luck.

#12     Aug 7, 2001
  3. MGB

MGB

Magna,
    It turns out that some brokerage firms downgraded a bunch of semiconductor stocks today.

No wonder.

As for TradeRX, can he tell me when he's buying so I can ride him like a coattail? :)

MGB

#13     Aug 7, 2001
  4. Magna

Magna Administrator

Michael,

It turns out that some brokerage firms downgraded a bunch of semiconductor stocks today. No wonder.

CSFB downgraded about a dozen semis before the open, although NVDA wasn't one of them. Oftentimes NVDA has a mind of it's own and goes it's own path, but today it followed the $SOX down.

If you don't already I highly recommend you subscribe to http://www.briefing.com to see the latest upgrades/downgrades, earnings, etc. It's the best subscription deal on the 'net, costing about $10 per month. Yahoo finance has alot of the same info for free but at briefing it's all nice 'n neatly packaged and easy to find.

As for TradeRX, can he tell me when he's buying so I can ride him like a coattail?

As we would all like to ;). If I'm not mistaken he often follows the calls made at http://www.millennium-traders.com and sometimes posts his winning days for our gratification and enjoyment.

#14     Aug 7, 2001
  5. MGB

MGB

Magna,
    Lately, I was thinking about subscribing to http://www.briefing.com. I'm getting tired of going all over the web just to find earnings announcements and the "wall street reaction".

$249.95 per month for millennium traders? I counted 69 members that joined the recent daily chat. Let me do the math.

69 x $249.95 per month = $17246.55 per month

That sweet money just for talking stocks well.

MGB

#15     Aug 8, 2001
  6. MGB

MGB

I looked up the SOX index and NVDA is not a member of this index. There are 16 stocks that are part of the SOX index.

KLAC
    NVLS
    AMAT
    LLTC
    MU
    XLNX
    TXN
    TER
    NSM
    ALTR
    INTC
    LSCC
    LSI
    MOT
    AMD
    RMBS

Is there a neat website where I could plug in the stock symbol and get a list of the Indexes that it's part of?

MGB

#16     Aug 8, 2001
  7. Hitman

Hitman

As you know most stocks do not have an index, but many of them do follow the index because of their industry, there are far more stocks that follows SOX than the actual number of index components.

http://www.mobydata.com/comp.htm

The link for every index and its components.

To find out whether NVDA follows the SOX index as well as say, ADI, you probably need to run correlation calculations, I am not sure how you can do this, can someone help?

#17     Aug 8, 2001
  8. Hitman

Hitman

Dustin just posted a solution from another thread, basically with EOD data and CORREL function from Excel you can calculate the correlation score for a stock and its index.

I tried it and it works wonders, my watch list needs to be revised. Being an ex-MSFT employee, is it possible that you kindly write some sort of simple macro so I can input two symbols and have it done automatically for me :) ???

For you it may take five minutes and for me it will take hours . . . No need for any user interface, just two cells where I change the symbol will do lol . . .

#18     Aug 8, 2001
  9. jsmith

jsmith

If TraderRX rides all the stocks like he tells us, he'd be making 7 digits a year. Anybody can open their big mouth and say they bought the bottom and sold the top at the end of the trend everyday.

I had a friend who wasn't trading that kept telling me she would've bought a stock here at a low and sold right at the top at the end of the day when looking at a chart. It really annoyed me. She finally started trading and lost her money.

Prove you aren't just a big mouth with no skills by posting your picks realtime for one week and we'll all bow down to your trading skills. Otherwise, don't brag about your lies.

#19     Aug 8, 2001
  10. Magna

Magna Administrator

#20     Aug 8, 2001