MFE/MSCF Programs

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Mike805, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Hello,

I am looking for resources on MFE/MSCF (MS Financial Engineering/MS Computational finance) programs, ideally west coast programs.

What schools offer the best programs? Any information regarding programs, US based and/or international would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Mike

2. Here is a link that might help you: http://www.global-derivatives.com/schools/fin-rankings2003-04.php

As for west coast programs, only Stanford, UC-Berkeley, and USC come to my mind.

Remember that these programs require a lot of math and some programming. Therefore, make sure you are strong on those. Feel free to ask me more questions (currently attending a top 5 on the list). :D

3. Carnegie Mellon, Berkeley have the most "real world oriented programs"

NYU, Columbia, Stanford,Chicago are more math, theory types.

4. Thanks for the link. I currently have graduate degrees in Electrical Engineering from USC, hence I'm not too worried about the math/quant aspect. My goal is to start working professionally as a trader or a quant - my formal work background is engineering, however, I've been a full time independent trader for a few years now and am looking to break into the industry. I have a very good personal trading track record, good work experience, very good grades and top GRE scores (99% percentile in Math/Analytical).

The MFE degree appears as if it would open many doors at the top financial institutions. Anyone out there care to comment on this?

Thanks,

Mike

5. Hey Mike,

Your degrees and qualifications look good to me, so why don't you apply to Berkeley and Stanford and see what happens? But let me remind you the fact that most opportunities are in NYC. You can definitely get into Wall Street with degree from Berkeley or Stanford, but I am just saying it will be in your advantage to be in NYC.

MFE/MSCF/Financial math degree will certainly open many doors for you. It really depends on the program, but most graduates of those top notch programs will enter into fields such as trading, structuring, asset/portfolio management, risk management, and research. Most major IBs will provide a summer rotational program so your best bet is to get into one of those.

Keep in mind that your classmates will be as competitive as you, if not more, and most of them have 2 or 3 Master's degrees, and maybe PhD degree (I am speaking of my program).

Working as a quant will require high level of analytical/math skills, which I certainly believe you have. Also, programming skill is very important as well, esepcially C++, VBA, Java, SQL etc (in order of importance). Make sure you are fluent in at least one of those languages prior to the start of your program.

6. your #1 choice should be MFE Berkeley, even though Stanford at large is better, this particular program at Berkeley is better not only in content, but recruiting as well.