MF Global stock down 35%

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by PohPoh, Jun 18, 2008.

1. It's people like you that are full of bullshit and use ET as their personal "playground" to spread all sorts of BS and misinformation. Do you even have a clue as to how long Man has been around?

Try 225 years.

#11     Jun 18, 2008
  2. And Fitch has affirmed MF Global's issuer default ratings and places the firm on stable outlook with investment grade "BBB+" rating.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080618/mf_global_fitch.html?.v=1

#12     Jun 18, 2008
  3. m22au

m22au

You make a valid point about Man's history, but as we saw with Refco, it doesn't take much for people to get worried and start withdrawing their funds from a broker with a hint of trouble

#13     Jun 18, 2008
  4. gnome

gnome

Segregated Funds "should" not be at risk with the financial condition of the broker...

#14     Jun 18, 2008
  5. m22au

m22au

You are correct that they 'should' not be at risk, but again using Refco as an example, some people don't want to take that chance. I think there may be posts on Elitetrader about Refco customers who did not get 100% of their money back

#15     Jun 18, 2008
  6. gnome

gnome

If I understand Refco's situation correctly, those in "segregated accounts" got their money out (or transferred to a new broker). Some had their money in a non-segregated "currency" account (I don't know how that works), and became general creditors...

#16     Jun 18, 2008
  7. Citi $5?

#17     Jun 18, 2008
  8. What the FUCK is your point?
    All it takes is one guy..
    One Leeson...One Bennett....One fucking pig, and millions of clueless sheep..
    and the whole house of cards come crashing down..

Everything I said is fact...take your blinders off, Landis..

#18     Jun 18, 2008
  9. right..they should..
    but what can you put past anyone these days..

My point was not that Man was going under and all you guys trading with them should be worried..

But the implications of a firm like that, perhaps having ENORMOUS derivative exposure, or something of the like, could crash the stock..

Hey, the stocks' only down 35% today..just another day at the office..

#19     Jun 18, 2008
  10. BTW, my ego is pretty small so I'm not concerned that what I say will move markets..

#20     Jun 18, 2008