MF Global down 60% right now

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Daal, Mar 17, 2008.

1. mokwit

mokwit

If you or I can't meet a loss the exchange makes good our counterparty and then goes to the broker for payment who in turn goes after us the client.

BTW you have NO protection in the event of a big client blow up - all other accounts with a broker can be used to cover the big blowup clients defecit. Theat's right, they use YOUR maney to pay someone elses debt but do not use e'g. Directors assets first. I discovered this not heavily advertised fact throgh having funds withh Refco - I am talking CFTC brokers here.

#31     Mar 17, 2008
  2. Exactly, i cleared Refco when they blew up. If this starts a 'run' on MAN then it could be all over whether or not there is bad news.

#32     Mar 17, 2008
  3. jsmooth

jsmooth

NMX: it will be interesting to see what the updated bids/offers & membership sales are tomorrow when they get updated

#33     Mar 17, 2008
  4. Trust me, I used to be a commodity floor trader for 10 years. I understand all of the above, AND I had funds at REFCO when they collapsed ( and were absorbed by MF ) and I wired my money out then, too.

Thank you for your concern though.

#34     Mar 17, 2008
  5. Hmmm, I was going to fill out paperwork to trade with a firm that uses MF for clearing. I'm guessing I may want to wait to see whats going on before I move my account.

#35     Mar 17, 2008
  6. which firms use MF for clearing? its brutal out there, anything smelling funny is getting taken out to the woodshed

#36     Mar 17, 2008
  7. gnome

gnome

Don't they have a capital account which is to be "consumed" before going after client assets?

#37     Mar 17, 2008
  8. Daal

Daal

than I think IB customers are fine because they put the funds on a securities account, can you confirm this

#38     Mar 17, 2008
  9. do you mean a segregated account?

#39     Mar 17, 2008
  10. #40     Mar 17, 2008