Mexicans Sending Money to their relatives IN THE UNITED STATES

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ByLoSellHi, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Because most Americans are lazy and feel they are too good to work many of those jobs.

#11     Nov 16, 2009
  2. Perhaps "suitable" needs to be re-defined.

If I were running social services, "support" from the government would include shelter (as in a cot in a barracks or gym), meals, medical and clothing as necessary. That's IT!

No subsidized housing, subsidized utilities, air conditioning, flat screen TV.

Subsistance. If you want better than that for yourself, DO SOMETHING TO EARN IT!!

There would be lots less unemployment...

#12     Nov 16, 2009
  3. jorgez

jorgez

maybe this will change over time

#13     Nov 16, 2009
  4. Cut back government support and subsidies.. and it surely will. If the choice were, "do SOME type of job or don't eat", attitudes would change quickly. (Hunger is a great motivator, in case you've never experienced it for more than a few hours.)

#14     Nov 16, 2009
  5. zdreg

zdreg

http://www.villagevoice.com/2009-11-03/news/the-strangest-landlord-tenant-relationship-in-town/

#15     Nov 16, 2009
  6. Not only that but I see a lot of people who ought to have a job just so they can get a sense of what "life" is/ought to be. Instead, many collect their monthly government check, produce more kids, shop at Food4Less & eat like pigs. They end up looking disgustingly fat, lazy & useless!

#16     Nov 16, 2009
  7. A little clueless, aren't you?

There would be havoc in the streets if all those subsidies were cut. There are not enough jobs as it is, imagine if all the welfare cases were set loose.

#17     Nov 16, 2009
  8. Illegals didn't have much empathy for Americans they squeezed out of construction jobs.

During the housing boom Illegal immigrants took jobs from Americans who wanted to work in construction jobs. I know people that do construction work,... handymen, plumbing, painting, tile, etc the whole gamut that were unable to get on construction jobs because employers would hire an illegal instead of an american.

Plenty of high school kids, college kids, adults could have been working learning a trade learning how to remodel kitchens, baths, do tile work etc but were unable to get their foot in the door. Not that that would be helping now as the boom went to bust.

#18     Nov 16, 2009
  9. Not clueless at all.. have experienced it first hand.

Sure, people would bitch if forced to let go of the public teat.

But they could become conditioned to working for a living just as they've become accustomed to being "welfare couch potatoes".

#19     Nov 16, 2009
  10. LOL
    In 1994 I bought a new Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo.
    Driving down a street passing a 7-11 I saw many men perhaps two dozen looking for employment around 10 am all were hispanic. I wanted to help them out, at least one of them.
    I asked if any wanted work I would pay $10 per hour for a few hours work washing and waxing my jeep. $20-30 I told them as I figured it would take 2-3 hours to detail it. I offered to do half the work with one of them.
    They laughed at me and said they get a minimum of $100 a day working construction doing whatever work if it is for 2 hours or 8 hours. They wanted a $100 for 2 hours work.
    One older guy decided to take the deal against the scorns of his peers.

#20     Nov 16, 2009