Methods for gaining muscle and losing fat

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Baron, Jul 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron

Baron ET Founder

#51     Jul 27, 2011
  2. baron

I thought that I would write a theme song for your thread. It has the same tune as one of his old time favorites.

Everyone is welcome to add lyrics to the song.

Here goes:

I get no kick from romaine.

Even a bean, sometime makes me turn green.

So tell me dear, could it be true.

that spam and bologna's good for you.:D

#52     Jul 27, 2011
  3. you look way lower than 12% there. I'm around 10-11% and i don't have that much definition.

i'm low-carbing now, trying to get to 8-9% while keeping muscle. i do cardio 5x per week plus strength training 2-3x per week. about 7 hrs of exercise weekly.

once you get below 11% it gets really hard.

#53     Jul 27, 2011
  4. Joe

Joe

I use an electronic scale that tells me my body fat, other then that it hasn't been measured; however I have 2 scales and both are within a point of each other.

#54     Jul 28, 2011
  5. Baron

Baron ET Founder

My electronic scale usually says I'm between 19% and 21% bodyfat. I think it's either screwed up, or I have a lot more bodyfat than I realize.

#55     Jul 28, 2011
  6. Kettlebells

#56     Jul 28, 2011
  7. Those scales are not a very good measure at all. I've had readings from 14% at my gym to 22% on one at a retail store, all in the same week.

People who are "denser", i.e. solid bone structure with more muscle will tend to throw those scales off towards the high end.

A good body fat measure needs to take into account your bone structure and muscle mass. Here is one I've found to be fairly accurate:

http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html

This one puts me right at 15.5% which I think is accurate. I'm 192 and 6'1" and exercise a lot (lots of surfing and cardio, 30 hours + a week combined).

My body fat could be lower given how much I exercise, *however*, my vice is beer. I love beer and that's a lot of extra calories in a week.

With respect to diet; I think anything that limits calories to a reasonable number will work, as long as one can stick to it. That's the real trick; its doing something that you can actually stick to. If you don't like steak and veggies, then you're not going to stick to that diet over the long term...

I don't think its of any use to deprive yourself of the foods you like, just moderate a bit and do regular exercise.

Mike

#57     Jul 28, 2011
  8. Here is a way to check. Jump in a swimming pool. If you can float you have excess body fat. If you can't float and sink to the bottom, you don't.

#58     Jul 28, 2011
  9. Damn... I can't even sink if I wanted to.

#59     Jul 28, 2011
  10. In regards to lifting, I dont understand why people make it so complex.

To cover your body above your core all that is needed is:

Push (chest shoulders)
    Pull (back shoulders)
    Throw (triceps shoulders)
    Lift (biceps shoulders)

Doing these things a different angles should cover everything.

#60     Jul 29, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.