Methods and Systems Only

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by TriPack, Oct 5, 2002.

1. ok props to you Tripack, u're getting some value going here. BTW Jean Michel's "method" is extremely far from being "mostly disclosed". Lemme ask you, what is his exit criteria? Aha, that's what I thought...

#11     Oct 11, 2002
  2. Ditch

Ditch

Here's a setup I trade a lot. I found it on Linda Rachke's site and its very easy to execute. Plot a 3/10 MACD (SMA), run a 14 SMA of the MACD on top of that. Wait for the SMA to cross the zero-line, then enter on the first cross of the zeroline by the MACD in the direction of the SMA.

#12     Oct 11, 2002
  3. Tripack,

I haven't actually traded this method, but have done extensive back testing via an excel spreadsheet with years of continuous data history. Its most profitable in highly liquid markets (SP, Bonds, etc.), due to the less "gappy" nature of such high-volume markets and because the profits so far outweigh the commissions, which can really add up, as a trade is placed almost daily. Its actually adapted from an idea of Larry William's. I just took it a step further. Perhaps with a modified entry/exit criteria, it could be enhanced. :p

-Lizard Gizzard

#13     Oct 11, 2002
  4. Maybe you and I and a few others can put a bit of pressure on Jeanmichel to disclose a bit more and clarify what he does for his exits. In the mean time I'll change the "mostly disclosed" to "somewhat disclosed".

#14     Oct 11, 2002
  5. Lawrence,

Thanks for sharing your method. About how many trades does the 5 minute graph give per day and the 15 minute? Does the 15 minute signal average 1 point per trade too, or is it a bit more profitable?

What do you define as a new high in the 5 minute? Is a higher high than the previous bar a new high or are you talking about a new intraday high? When a new 5 minute bar forms and it starts ticking higher is that a new high in the 5 minute graph? Are you looking at new highs at the close of the bar or while the bar is developing?

Sorry for so many questions, just trying to clarify.

#15     Oct 11, 2002
  6. Thanks for the additional info Lizard Gizzard, and thanks for sharing your method!

#16     Oct 11, 2002
  7. Ditch,

Thanks for sharing your method. Just to clarify, if the SMA crosses the zero line to the upside, and the MACD is already above the zero line is there a trade or does the MACD have to cross above the zero line after the SMA has crossed above?

#17     Oct 11, 2002
  8. Ditch

Ditch

The SMA has to cross first, in fact you're entering on the first retrace in a new trend

#18     Oct 11, 2002
  9. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

You could probably do away with the MA entirely if you bought only those retracements that occur after a new swing high.

--Db

#19     Oct 11, 2002
  10. Ditch

Ditch

Kinda hilarious, considering that most people, who post on this board lose money, are afraid to give away some magic secret:p :p :p

#20     Oct 11, 2002