Message in a bottle.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nitro, Feb 14, 2011.

1. nitro

nitro

You know what surprises me? That in an age where it is so simple to make a video, that more parents don't make a video of themselves, to be opened by their children in case we decease unexpectedly.

I am going to do this soon. Wow, what would you say if you had say, one hour to say it all? Would you give advice, or maybe you would praise, or explain why you did things a certain way, or maybe....

2. Oh sure...lay another guilt trip on your kids if they decide not to watch it. :D

My ex wife died a few years ago, our daughter is almost 30. I wrote my daughter a short story with pictures about her mom and I and how we met, places we went, etc. all the good things.

This was a subject that wasn't talked about much throughout the years. She enjoyed it very much. I told her I only made one copy and I'm not going down that road again so don't lose it. That's a subject I really wouldn't put on video.

:cool:

3. Pekelo

Pekelo

I agree. Parents should start with making a sextape, after all the kids want to know how they got here. After that it matters not what they tape, the kids won't watch it because of the trauma they suffered from the first video...

4. nitro

nitro

Sorry about your ex wife. Was it sudden? If it happens slowly, you have a chance to say goodbye, then no need.

At least _you_ did something like I am suggesting - you probably didn't want her memory to end there either. My point is that it would be that much more precious to your daughter if it had come from her.

5. olias

olias

I appreciate the thought to start this thread. My brother and I were just talking about spending some time and interviewing our father because he is getting up there. We both respect the hell out of him, but we really don't know who he is. He's basically a quiet, hard working Irish Catholic guy. We want to ask him about his days as a kid, what he liked, historical events and how they affected him. We want to video tape the whole thing so our kids and have a better idea of who the man is, and was.

This was my brother's idea, but I think it's awesome. Maybe some others will want to do the same.

6. Maverick74

Maverick74

I actually had this as a business idea long ago. I thought it was a great idea. Speaking of unexpected death I am haunted by this quote by actor Brandon Lee, son of Bruce Lee. He gave this quote just months before he was accidentally killed on the set of the movie "The Crow". Read it over a few times and let it simmer in your brain. It will really make you think about things.

"Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. And yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you cannot conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, or five times more? Perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless."

Brandon Lee

7. i believe he was murdered

8. Tell her for some days she will feel really so sad because she miss you, to go to her family and friends to have comfort. And tell her life will have many happy times again.

9. Maverick74

Maverick74

Well, there are all sorts of rumors about the Lee family curse.

10. Yea life is short, too short esp. in relation to what you can compare it with ...NOTHING.

#10     Feb 14, 2011