Merrill the next Enron?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by a529612, Nov 2, 2007.

1. "Everything is in order. We didn't cook the books. As I speak to you right now the infidels of the SEC are being slaughtered by our own men."

[​IMG]

#11     Nov 3, 2007
  2. Just look at the level 3 assets of Goldman, Merrill....... They can't write them all down. There would be no shareholders' equity, no book value, no ability to stay in business.

This is another fine mess they've gotten us into, Stanley.

I hope somebody is around to cover these naked shorts so I can get paid......:eek:

#12     Nov 3, 2007
  3. #13     Nov 3, 2007
  4. meril is not an enron .

#14     Nov 3, 2007
  5. #15     Nov 3, 2007
  6. #16     Nov 3, 2007
  7. Here they are with this waste in Level 3 being accounted for to protecting the earnings - and they'd like to juice those very earnings even more and pay bonuses - so they reach into that cesspool, grab a piece of the waste and claim it has miraculously increased in value to the tune of 1B. Unbelievable.

If 50%, or even 25%, of my bank's loan collateral assets were questionable they'd have to be put on nonaccrual, requiring a capital increase that would make them insolvent. Gummint would take the bank over.

#17     Nov 3, 2007
  8. Translating the GS statement from Wall Street BS to Plain English you get:

GS has no write offs as we stopped mark-to-model valuation after the black box model blew up i.e. it wasn't able to calculate a value on the CDOs and SIVs.

#18     Nov 3, 2007

9. GS basically said they hedged out their exposure. What's so hard to understand? Blood in the streets - look for a bounce - soon.

#19     Nov 3, 2007
  10. Jan 08 MER put volume was enormous

#20     Nov 3, 2007