Merrill Lynch caught illegally disseminating S&P downgrades

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by wilburbear, Aug 20, 2011.

1. rickf

rickf

I saw an email (posted elsewhere) dated in April 2011 that discussed 'possible' S&P downgrade, citing pretty much the same reasons that were published in the actual downgrade report.

See this news article for more info.

http://www.thetechherald.com/articl...ve-contractor-advance-notice-on-S&P-downgrade

< - >

"The odd thing about the communication is that it happened April 25, long before S&P downgraded the U.S. credit rating. Yet, the logic for the downgrade mentioned in the email was spot on."

#11     Aug 20, 2011
  2. Was it public knowledge how long S&P would give Congress to act
    before it instituted the downgrade? The Merrill/BAC analyst seems to have known more than most people.........

#12     Aug 20, 2011
  3. The press release for this organization states the following-

"Additionally we found evidence of a Merrill Lynch wealth management advisor giving private advance notice to Garcia about upcoming S&P US credit rating downgrades."

In my opinion, "private advance notice" doesn't sound good for Merrill.

#13     Aug 20, 2011
  4. If they can prove a direct connection to leaks out of S&P then, yeah, that wouldn't be good, but there was plenty of evidence before they released their decision that that was what was going to happen.

It is possible they treated their clients unfairly, but more likely analysts at ML tipped these advisors off that it was coming. I wouldn't assume Merrill is guilty until it is proven. This appears spec to me.

#14     Aug 20, 2011
  5. Where is it written about the downgrade in the link you provided? Can't seem to find it.

#15     Aug 21, 2011
  6. jem

jem

of course they leak info to to their clients who have them on retainer for their banking services. Many of these clients are officers at publically traded companies.

The client pays 30 grand a month or more and the clients gets advice on his own stock and inside info on other stocks.

#16     Aug 21, 2011
  7. Boohoo. People needed Meryl to tell them the S&P was gonna downgrade?

#17     Aug 21, 2011
  8. Nice start:

For #PHuckFBIFriday, we are releasing 1GB of private emails and documents
    belonging to Vanguard Defense Industries(VDI), a defense contractor that sells
    arms to law enforcement, military, and private corporations. The emails belong
    to Senior Vice President of VDI Richard T. Garcia, who has previously worked as
    Assistant Director to the Los Angeles FBI office as well as the Global Security
    Manager for Shell Oil Corporation. This leak contains internal meeting notes and
    contracts, schematics, non-disclosure agreements, personal information about
    other VDI employees, and several dozen "counter-terrorism" documents classified
    as "law enforcement sensitive" and "for official use only"....

#18     Aug 22, 2011
  9. LOL... could have been Moody's.

#19     Aug 22, 2011
  10. #20     Aug 23, 2011