Meredith Whitney: "Unemployment is headed to 13%"

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Daal, Jul 13, 2009.

1. CET

CET

I believe her point was that there was a lot of refinancing when mortgage rates were in the 4s and that would help 2nd quarter earnings. It was fairly clear to me she was just saying the banks stocks were a trade into earnings and then it gets ugly again.

#21     Jul 14, 2009
  2. Certainly to her career, if nothing else.

There's no doubt about it.

#22     Jul 14, 2009
  3. But volumes are way off.
    Coal traffic -21%

#23     Jul 14, 2009
  4. So many "conspiracy" theories here on ET, it's a wonder that anyone can actually wake up in the morning, get out of bed, and pull the "trigger and trade. :D

I guess if you believe GS "engineered" the rally in March in stocks and commodities, you also believe that they were able to send the dollar off a cliff, too, which was the catalyst for the commodity rally. I guess they even had the Chinese replenish their inventories too . . .

LOL!

#24     Jul 14, 2009
  5. Monthly NFP- Almost 5 Million lost in 10 months. Neglible job growth
    outside of gov. stimulus. You can see where this headed if the
    monthly numbers do not reverse and slow down soon.

#25     Jul 14, 2009
  6. Don't forget the Bay of Pigs invasion, JFK's assassination and Pearl Harbor. All engineered by Goldman Sachs. On top of that, rumor has it that Jack the Ripper was a partner at Goldman's London office :D

#26     Jul 14, 2009
  7. Daal

Daal

Do you have any idea what kind of NFP number needs to print every month for how long to get to 15%?The way we are going with 400k-300k(and declining) there is no way it will remotely get this high. There needs to be another lehman shock and the government has already said they will bail lemonade stands out if necessary to prevent another shock, just look at CIT. If NFP keeps printing bad there will be more stimulus and people will work for the government

To bet on 13%+ unemployment you are betting against the administration/congress ability to spend/bailout and the fed to finance with new money, not a good bet

#27     Jul 14, 2009
  8. I see a War Veteran Bivouac on the White House Lawn.... much like the WW1 rebelion.

#28     Jul 14, 2009
  9. That would be interesting!

#29     Jul 14, 2009