Meredith Whitney:"Large US Banks will stay on life support for at least 2 more years"

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Daal, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Mvic

Mvic

Not to mention the fact that now that they are bank holding companies they will never achieve the level of returns they could achieve as IBs as they are no longer allowed to employ the same level of leverage.

#11     Dec 10, 2008
  2. That's right ...WHEN....

hey, I'm sorry..I just screwed up half of my commentary which a appears in the emboldened (quote area)...I am not too clever at this stuff.:(

#12     Dec 10, 2008
  3. The banks will stay on taxpayer provided "life support"?

What's the incentive for running your business well when all you need to do is grow "too big to fail" and latch on to the government tit?

Of course the banks will suck wind from now on. There are too many of them and they're mostly all poorly run and have no incentive to change that. Thanks to government genius, these zombies will be sucking the blood of productive, well run companies and individuals.

What a disaster.

#13     Dec 10, 2008
  4. yep

#14     Dec 10, 2008
  5. capmac

capmac

For Big US Banks, Trouble Is Just Getting Started

Wednesday January 14, 3:22 pm ET

Troubles at some of banking's biggest names in early 2009 are merely setting the tone for what is likely to be another disastrous year for the industry.

As the future of Citigroup has come into question and analysts express concern over Bank of America and HSBC, the worst could well be yet to come for an industry still smarting over a bruising 2008.

http://biz.yahoo.com/cnbc/090114/28656573.html?.v=1

#15     Jan 14, 2009