Mentorship (4th year still not profitable)

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by iamnewuser911, Nov 13, 2017.

1. 777

Thank you for your reply.

I was brining up investing in Berkshire for 30 to 40 years as an example of a plan the the average guy who wants to be involved in the market would be far more likely to be successful with.

From your posts I can see you are not the average guy who sees himself as a soon to be daytrading wizard.

As I acknowledge in another post, for just the right person... yes...

The SOES Bandits cleaned up and many has a mentor. On a longer time frame, many of the Turtles (with a mentor) did well. Stanley Druckenmiller, Jim Simons, Blair Hull all starred out "trading".

#221     Aug 16, 2018
  2. speedo

speedo

This is probably not the best site for investment advice although there are obviously quite a few on here who are unclear on the concept of short term speculation.

#222     Aug 16, 2018
    tommcginnis likes this.
  3. 777

Agree with your observations on how the market works and how hard it is to pick longterm winners.

Long time ago if you had seen the future of automobiles, 2000 companies have come and gone. Had you thought airlines were here to stay and bought all of them along the way you woulf have done poorly. Had you believed the US, Televisions and radios were not going away... what happened to the US makers of those two things ?(paraphrasing Warren Buffett on all of this).

Even being right on an industry or concept, it is not always easy to pick the winners.

That is why I specifically mention low cost ETF's or Berkshire Hathaway in a tax efficient account and holding for 30 to 40 years as a plan the average person can do.. has the skill to do.. if he has the fortitude born in part by understanding.

As usual, I enjoy your insightful comments and do not disagree with the facts you write.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    #223     Aug 16, 2018
  4. 777

More to the poster of this thread:

I applaud your search for a mentor! ))

How have things been going?

#224     Aug 16, 2018
  5. deaddog

deaddog

So buy and hold the index. Let S&P manage the portfolio. SPY has a MER of 0.09%.

If you can't outperform SPY you should not be trading.

#225     Aug 16, 2018
    nakachalet and tommcginnis like this.
  6. 777

True.

Unless you are one of the few who has what it takes and is seriously learning.

The person who started this thread seemed so sincere and it is so often so hard to turn things around in many areas after four years of serious struggling. Bad ideas and habits become ingrained.

I like sincere people who try hard and ask questions.

Sometimes I reflect and learn from their questions and the answers they receive.

Wonder if he found the teacher he searches for (?)

Maybe I will pm him him and ask.

#226     Aug 16, 2018
    CSEtrader likes this.
  7. themickey

themickey

A good example right now are lithium stocks.
    What could go wrong with lithium? Nothing! Batteries and lithium are the future!? Right?
    If you bought lithium 5 years ago, you would be earning 6%pa on initial investment approx at this point in time.
    https://www.barchart.com/stocks/quo...e=0&sym=LIT&grid=1&height=500&studyheight=100

#227     Aug 16, 2018
    777 likes this.
  8. destriero

destriero

Sure, all forms of EVs use some sort of lithium. All that I know is that it's not LiFePo batt as the energy density is too low. Would you go after a resource investment for 3% over Treasuries?

#228     Aug 16, 2018
  9. Simples

Simples

Looking at volume, the majority of random buyers would be down from Oct 2017..

#229     Aug 16, 2018
  10. themickey

themickey

My point, anyone contemplating buy & hold of stocks, it's a lazy form of investment and laziness has it's price, basically a random outcome, may as well buy lottery tickets with the money you would otherwise spend on holding positions.
    On the other hand, buy & hold with the simplest bit of homework (but that too would be difficult for a non financial literate person) and drop in maybe a loose weekly trailing stop would be better than nothing. One of the metrics I use is historical volatility, looking back over the last couple of years. If it has been too volatile, don't touch from an investment perspective. Unfortunately for them most lay investors are not able to get this information.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    #230     Aug 16, 2018