Mentorship (4th year still not profitable)

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by iamnewuser911, Nov 13, 2017.

1. d08

d08

There are way more than two types of strategies, from non-directional options strategies to pairs etc.

I've trade both trend and reversals. Both have lumpy returns at times.

Stop daytrading? I don't know what it is but it's not good advice. Why would daytrading have "astronomical probability of wipe-out"? That's illogical. The intraday moves are incorporated into longer term charts, so based on that, swing trading also has "astronomical probability of wipe-out" and by extension every time horizon.

#161     Dec 2, 2017
    MACD, soulfire, speedo and 3 others like this.
  2. d08

d08

Their coaches are either retired (too old to compete) or mediocre players but good coaches. When it comes to trading, you want someone who is still active (who cares about learning how trading was in say 1980s?) but also outperforming everyone else. A sports equivalency of having Michael Jordan coach you while he's competing in the NBA finals.

#162     Dec 2, 2017
    MACD and 777 like this.
  3. d08

d08

One reason is constrained liquidity as you only get a percentage of the profits. Why would it be less stressful? If you need to make money every month to pay the bills then that's just bad planning. As a trader you need to have 6 months expenses always available and probably more for any health emergencies.

Then if you're systematic or automated, they can just copy what you're doing. They might even get you to give up your code, talk about making yourself redundant.

Anyway, I did have an offer to join a prop firm from someone here on ET but it didn't seem attractive for the aforementioned reasons. Maybe I just have too much disdain for the word "salary".

#163     Dec 2, 2017
    MACD likes this.
  4. tomorton

tomorton

Maybe its illogical but the statistics are with my argument. Most new traders are day-traders and most get wiped out.

#164     Dec 2, 2017
  5. Xela

Xela

For poor traders (and that's most, of course - nobody's disputing it) you're right; for real traders, d08's right ... (is my perspective).

#165     Dec 2, 2017
    MACD and speedo like this.
  6. sle

sle

I am only laughing because it's one of the more ridiculous claims made on this forum (having worked at one of the firms mentioned and having been working in finance for many years). What probably happens is that outfit had some people that took their course and later happen to find a job with a fund/bank. Alternatively, they might do corporate training courses for operations/sales staff or provide FSA test prep courses. This gives them an opportunity to say with all honesty "we train staff for VS" and such.

It's not "coaching", it's "apprenticeship". It's very different from coaching - you learn by doing things and looking over someones shoulder.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    #166     Dec 2, 2017
    Xela, ironchef and themickey like this.
  7. themickey

themickey

Not so!
    There are plenty of old timers around with years of experience but these days lack the quick reflexes and energy of up coming younger guys and gals.
    You don't want a Michael Jordan training you, he us too busy with his own game plan to be able to put quality time into training others, while an old timer has both the time and the nous to do that. But finding such people is like finding gold in a river bed, not easy.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    #167     Dec 2, 2017
  8. ironchef

ironchef

From what I read he was not a good coach either while competing or retired. Phil Jackson was the good coach during Jordan's time.

Turned out his teammate Steve Kerr, not as talented, is a better coach.

I think a good trader may not be a good coach and vice versa.

#168     Dec 2, 2017
  9. Actually, I've found that experience makes up for the need of quick reflexes. What old traders lose first is the power of concentration. After xxx minutes of following the price movement your mind begins to drift.

#169     Dec 2, 2017
  10. If one knows his stuff, and if the student has the ability to learn, it's not that hard to teach the basics. That fork in the road is the application. I've found that while not wanting to clone myself, too often leaving the student to go his own way, leads to disaster. So initially you have to clone yourself to a certain extent and let the student develop himself later after years of experience.

#170     Dec 2, 2017
    MACD and speedo like this.