Mentoring From Main Street

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by Zulu, Apr 26, 2004.

1. From Brandon and toni's website:

"Part of the "American Dream" is to make $100,000 a year working for yourself on your own terms. Traders are more ideally positioned to make this dream a reality than anyone who does not have a large trust fund.
    Most of them do not realize how simple it is and there in is the problem most people
    have. Making $100,000 a year takes an average of $400 a day. This is extremely easy to do provided that you have three things:

A) A setup that you already knows works and is easy for you to apply

B) A simple Money Management trick.

C) $75,000. We will provide A and B, they need to provide C. "

They also refer to mentoring from "top traders."

I don't have a quarrel with Brandon and Toni, in fact they seem like decent people who have tried to help people here over the years. However, I do take issue with some of their claims. It is not "easy" to make $100k a year on a $75k account. Few of the top traders in the country can do it. If it is so easy, why aren't they able to document their own results? And how can you claim you are getting mentoring from "top traders" if they either don't trade themselves or can't prove how successful they are? Toni makes the point that one can be a "great" educator without being able to trade. Maybe, maybe not, but they are saying the mentoring is from "top traders', not "educators."

#31     Apr 28, 2004
  2. Toni

Toni

That prior post is exactly what I mean.... and the reason I asked if you had any questions to feel free to PM me. (The PM suggestion was of course so I could then get the heck out of here, not some sneaky marketing ploy as the consiracy may go =) I will send you the aforementioned logs of teaching examples from this week in pvt... To post here will obviously be considered shameless self-promotion instead of just providing you with an example of my teaching ability.

By posting earlier, I simply wanted to point out that you would be unlikely to receive any critique from actual participants in the program you asked about in this forum because they simply aren't here and to address the points made in this thread, as well as let you know that I would be happy to answer any questions you might have for me (in addition to your inquiry to prior participants... (sry for the apparent misunderstanding on that point dbphoenix..)

To Mr. DBPhoenix,

btw... I did ask Brandon not to post here again as well. While not the topic of the thread, you opened the door to us posting by insinuating we are scum and that you should never pay anyone to teach you to trade. I do not think you need to do so either. I never paid anyone to teach me. I taught myself. If I knew when I started what I do now though, it would have saved me a lot of time. I think that in that regard, having a mentor is very helpful. You will learn things in minutes that you might not have considered for years. At least that was my experience. At the same time, I don't envy anyone looking to find out where is a good place to look for such a mentor. You certainly hear more horror stories than good experiences. It is difficult to ever really know for sure what is right for you ahead of time and hearing from people you trust or at least respect is one way to research them.

Frankly, I'm also very skeptical of people who do what I do and applaud Zulu for asking around. I would be surprised though if you were to find someone that has actually taken the program that speaks ill of it. And that is not because I think I'm some perfect guru. It's because I care too much what people think of me and go out of my way to make the program small enough that it can fit everyone that participates in it. .It's both a positive and negative personality trait... negative because I spent the afternoon dwelling on this thread instead of following the market and doing something positive with my time.

To everyone else here: Good day, good-bye, and good trading...

#32     Apr 28, 2004
  3. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Having been a teacher for many years, I should also point out that "defending" oneself against "challenges" is part of the territory when the challenger is shelling out hard-earned cash for one's supposed expertise.

Like respect, admiration is earned. It doesn't come simply because one has published a book or created a pretty website. There is simply no reason why a "top trader" should be defensive about his or her record. If he or she is, big yellow lights should begin to flash.

As for "insinuating that [you] are scum", I'm afraid you're going to have to provide a quote there. Nor did I say that no one should ever pay to be taught how to trade. However, if it's important to you to misquote me in order to make whatever point you're trying to make, then I would be even more concerned about your unwillingness to provide a trading record.

Your defensiveness regarding this issue reminds me of the saying that someone who lies to himself (or herself) is more easily offended than anyone.

#33     Apr 28, 2004
  4. Toni

Toni

btw, my apologies to AAA, his post went through while I was writing mine. I was replying to db's.

regarding AAA, I don't think trading is easy... period. The quote you used was for a program whereby we get paid for the mentoring based upon a % the trader's profits - and that kicks in only if what they make that is above $100k a year. hence, we get paid only if they do meet that goal.. it's not a claim that anyone can do it and that in an overall context of trading it's an easy thing to do.

additionally, the educator comment was in regard to the industry.. in that case it was a general term

db.. if i misinterpreted you i am sorry.. that was the impression you gave me, which was the same one I just received from your last post...

i agree that admiration should should be earned, but i do not intend to try to earn mine in this forum.

anyway, i am sorry to have taken up your time... take care everyone

#34     Apr 28, 2004
  5. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Apology accepted, though if you hadn't misquoted me, the last post would not have been made.

If you believe that anyone who challenges you thinks you're scum, perhaps you should either develop a thicker skin or exit the mentoring business.

#35     Apr 28, 2004
  6. If it means anything to you Toni doll I happen to think both you and Brandon are scum... Anyway, carry on...

#36     Apr 28, 2004
  7. im4chun8

im4chun8

Have been a member of tfms for 1 year. It's the most" honest place" to learn to trade that I could find. If you're looking for someone to tell you what to do, this is not the place. However, if you really want to learn, and not kill your account in the process, it's worth checking out. I can honestly say it made the difference for me being profitable vs (well you all know)

#37     Apr 28, 2004
  8. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

Bless your heart. Hugs and Kiss :p

#38     Apr 28, 2004
  9. Toni

Toni

Hey zulu,

I just spoke with Baron (owner of ET) and he just reopened your thread. I did not ask him to btw. I thought it was too far off topic to be of any further use, but I hope it goes better this time and people stick with the topic you posted.

In all fairness, the guy who runs this site is a good guy but it's a large forum and diverging from the topic given is typical and not everyone knows each other so you easily see people jumping to conclusions. Brandon for instance has posted here for 3 years and is rather brash and outspoken, while I only have a handful of posts period, but since we work together people assume we are similar. Of the people who posted on this thread the only ones I knew who they were other than Brandon were mildog and im4chun8.. and yes, they posted because I posted elsewhere that people were asking and knew most who took that specific class would never see your question.

04/28/04 Toni I don't know how many of you people follow Elite Trader..
    04/28/04 Toni but anyway.. it was brought to my attention that someone opened up a thread on wanting to learn more about my mentoring I do
    04/28/04 Toni so for those of you who have taken and wish to post your impressions
    04/28/04 Toni good or bad
    04/28/04 Toni here's your opportunity

Take care and good luck.

#39     Apr 28, 2004
  10. Toni,

Do you trade or not? With real money? Does Brandon? And if you do, why not publish your results?

#40     Apr 28, 2004