mentoring-- a waste of time ??

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by marketsurfer, Apr 29, 2004.

1. thanks.

surfer :) :)

#31     Apr 29, 2004
  2. look, good detailed tutoring will improve your skills. kasparov can make nearly anyone a better chess player but will not make everyone into a grandmaster or even into a good chess player but if you have at least somewhere about avg capacity you can get measureably better; same with trading or poker or parcheesi :)

the level of improvement will depend on the abilities of both the teacher and the student but there will be improvement. do you think everyone must become a "grandmaster" to profit in market??

#32     Apr 30, 2004
  3. BSAM

BSAM

Got to agree with LongShot on this one. (Hmmm.....Maybe I better contact a good psychiatrist!:D )

#33     Apr 30, 2004
  4. how can you actually evaluate this statement?

if a great trader attributes his success to a mentor, it will be assumed that the trader's real talent was innate in the first place. apart from that, i think the closest thing you might find to an answer is Jerry Parker of Chesapeake Capital. Low key accountant learns trading techniques from Richard Dennis and builds success into a billion dollar fund, far surpassing his teacher. Dennis advertised in the newspaper for students, but I don't suppose that's what you meant.

perhaps your larger point is in regards to the fact that no book or newsletter guru can actually take the time or create the emotional connections necessary to develop someone to greatness. kind of like trying to be a tennis pro with instructional videos instead of an actual coach. the economics of mass market guru guidance just don't work from a time/energy standpoint.

if you're making this point to wake up the guppies swimming into the barracuda's lair, i salute your magnanimous nature :)

#34     Apr 30, 2004

5. your talent and perception shines brightly, darkhorse.

it is a pleasure to be your acquaintance.

surfer :)

#35     Apr 30, 2004
  6. oh well if i knew *darkhorse* was going to respond i would have kept quiet :p

#36     Apr 30, 2004

7. you pierce me with your rapist's wit :-|

p.s. i'm the happy face sarcasm king <[:p

oy vey

:p

#37     Apr 30, 2004
  8. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

I know I am supposed to be leaving, but I'm sick and not trading and bored out of my mind so I cant help myself.

I think trading is something that can be taught, like playing the guitar.

When I was a kid I wanted to be the next Jimmy Hendrix or Slash. I spent a ton of time practicing on my guitar and generally driving the entire neighborhood nuts. I also went to a number of lessons and had some great teachers.

What I did not have though was the true passion needed to become the next Jimmy Hendrix or Slash. I wanted to be a rock star coz I figured rockers get laid a lot and make a lot of money. It sounded like a good deal to me. But, I did not have a geniune LOVE and PASSION for music or the guiatar. I had a passion, but it was someplace else. So, no matter what I did I did not make the sacrafices required to be the next Jimmy Hendrix or Slash, even though I thought I was working my ass off.

I also think there is something inate in a person, or maybe how they grew up, I dont know..that will help you as a trader. I think anyone can make a living at it with discipline...I could play in a club band if I wanted, but few will make a great living. It requires something most don't have.

Brandon

#38     Apr 30, 2004
  9. You are wrong on first paragraph Not everybody needs help in all areas. I , for example . just need help with selecting a profitable method, the one which was used and verified by the mentor. I can handle the rest.
    You are probably right on CHALLENGE .

#39     Apr 30, 2004
  10. True for everything.

peace

axeman

#40     Apr 30, 2004