Mentor, Advice, making the leap

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by bluefalcon, Aug 12, 2010.

1. LEAPup

LEAPup

#21     Aug 17, 2010
  2. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

That is not mentoring nor will you learn how to trade this way because you need to learn how to think for yourself. Simply, your quote implies you're trying eat first instead of learning how to shop for the ingredients you'll need to make your own meal.

Therefore, trying to duplicate (mimicking) the trades barked out by others is the worst way to learn how to trade especially if there's no proof that the signal caller took the trades. In contrast, if someone is in your trading environment (looking over your shoulder) and guides you through trades...that's an entirely different ball game. A game that has a much better chance at success.

You can only do this in person via watching the mentor trade via a real trading account along with the mentor explaining during or after the trade those cues as you call it.

However, there are different types of mentors...those that help you resolve or fix what's keeping you from being successful regardless to the trade method you're using and than there are those that teach you their trade method. Simply, traders with a decent method but keep sabotaging it...needs the former whereas those with no method or a crappy method will need the latter.

It's more tough to find a mentor that does both of the above I've mentioned.

Mark

#22     Aug 17, 2010
  3. Mark,

Thank you! I will keep both of these things in mind.

Your methodology seems to make a lot more sense. Basically, I want to think for myself, make mistakes, see what works for me, but I would like a mentor to accelerate that process. That seems to be exactly what your talking about.

I was thinking before as I mentioned, that I would pick up, as the mentor told me when to buy and sell, exactly why these trades were being made and then start to experiment on my own from what I had learned. As I said, I think Mark's method is probably more direct, and I agree that visual and experimental learning are the two key types to really learn to trade.

#23     Aug 17, 2010
  4. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

bluefalcon,

It's not a method. It's advice about how to ensure you have a good mentor/student relationship. A relationship that benefits you and the mentor.

Here's more advice. You should start a group for traders in your city (e.g. esignal data users, futures traders) that has in person get togethers at a local pub, outdoor barbecue (review Elitetrader.com Hook Up thread).

My point is to put yourself in a position to meet other traders in person to increase your chances of meeting a mentor for in person training. This is how I met a mentor when I was young via him being a member of an easylanguage coding group for Omega Research (now known as TradeStation). A group I started without any knowledge of coding or easylanguage other than the fact I used Omega Research charting software. It was an in person group that got together to talk about coding while having eat outs.

Mark

#24     Aug 17, 2010
  5. If you are trying to build the image that you are a total idiot in this thread, then you are doing it very well...

#25     Aug 17, 2010
  6. With a name like that you probably know me from my NY giant coverage! I was trying to be a mentor! try that sometime buddy. And I wanted someone here in my apartment staring at me who was beautiful. Sorry. I've already apologized numerous times in this thread for my shallowness in this regard, it's just that a zillion folks would want to learn from me and it's something that cannot be teached. It's something that comes from investing for 25 years every day, the symbols, the earnings the ups and downs, the economic calls, the pumps the dumps-- everything that is in this head that has centered on stocks for that period of time how to you impart that? Being a mentor is not easy Mr Joe P! So rather than cast your blanket net of anger my way try seeing things from my point of view- I am getting older. My wife and I had a deal that we made back when we were in College-- it was that we were going to shackup during my viral years and in return she would allow me a dally dally on my 40th birthday! Well wouldn't you know that day rolled around and I actually began looking on Craig's list for a full body rub down... and well, we kind of rolled that option out as it were-- my wife agreed that she made the deal... but we both agreed this was something that should happen on my 50th! It was big enough to be a half century celebration of spermhood and so I thought perhaps this college chick Blue who wanted to sleep over and stay up late with me would be entry point into that world. I'm not saying anything would of happened, but just to feel those tingly sensations of someone admiring your form again... and not have it be because of my CMT would of been great. Someone sandbagged me- and sent me a picture of Blue which got be all hot and bothered. Now today the sad reality, Blue Falcon is a guy.~stoney

#26     Aug 17, 2010
  7. The OP didn't direct the question to yourself, so no need to pour effusive praise on the many demands you imagine for your mentoring.

#27     Aug 18, 2010
  8. PULLING RANDOM WORDS FROM POST--

LEAP // BLUE // SINCE I WAS LITTLE // FRESHMAN // COLLEGE // BACK // AFTER COLLEGE // PLUNGE // STEP // GUIDE ME // PROCESS // WILLING TO GIVE // SLEEP // MENTOR // INTERESTED // SUCH AN ARRANGEMENT //

And people wonder how I could of gotten the wrong idea.
    Some random thoughts for you Blue from your mentor.

Today was rough. Couldn't get an angle. Went to a nice small museum Rubin I think it was called in the old Barney's space on 17th street, all these great old Tibet stuff and thankas and Ganeshas lots of heads and arms everywhere death masks good stuff. Even some great modern art. This cleared my mind and allowed me to come home and make a few bucks of CF in the afternoon.

Sometimes I go to Eisneberg's and have an old fashioned egg cream and just watch the people. It's good to get away from the computer.

I met up with my old college roommate and his family they were in town. He works at S&P as an analyst and he had some interesting things to say about a missive that went out in house last Sunday... tell your clients to BUY small cap! And lot's of M&A expected... I'll be getting a copy of that report. A big hedge fund manager closed up shop today Drunkenmeir he was short the 30 year. After that position is closed (he buys) We must ask ourselves if that hedge fund fold isn't the ever elusive mark of a top in bonds.

Ganesha has a rat friend Blue! Hope this helps. ~stoney

#28     Aug 18, 2010
  9. Hi, before you find a good mentor, you can already start with demo account while researching and testing

#29     Aug 20, 2010