mentally getting over missed trades you were in

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by NYC212, May 8, 2009.

1. ER9

ER9

for me it was just time and experience.....that feeling that i was missing out slowly faded over time when i realized the truth, that every day and every hour of every day brings the same opportunity. now i know if i miss out on a big trade there will be another that will come along and take its place soon.

some days i just take off and dont even bother to trade and i no longer feel like i'm missing anything. 20 trading days are 20 trading days....it doesn't matter if they span a month or ten months. statistics should make it clear the potential outcome is the same either way. dont sweat the missed trades.....there will be another one soon enough.

#21     May 16, 2009
  2. Redneck

Redneck

NYC212

FWIW Sir and IMHO

You are

1.) Living in the past
    2.) Existing in the woulda / shoulda/ coulda world of trading
    3.) Spending too much time on the soft left edge

Every one of us can look back to the left side of any chart and see (fantasize about) what could have been – if only

In fact

We are compelled to…., and must always – live on / trade – the hard right edge

Forget the past – Trade what you see – Hold no regrets – ever.. And keep moving forward

May I respectfully suggest making a fundamental shift in the way you view/ use a chart...., and trade

Take care,
    RN

#22     May 17, 2009
  3. ammo

ammo

your mental energy is your power source for the day,you need to protect it,your wasting it

#23     May 17, 2009
  4. yeap, change it to "will have, will have, will have"

there will always be another opportunity in the future as long as we can maintain our azz in, not killing ourselfs for not forgiving ourselfs for the "what i missed", in the way of a mother of all losses...

there will be more days than beans, always. Easier to say than do, ofc.

regards

imo

#24     May 17, 2009
  5. Cutten

Cutten

Presumably you exited because you didn't see any strong signal to stay in the trade.

If the stock then went on to have a big further move, there are two possibilities:

i) the big further move was something you could not have anticipated - either it was random/unpredictable, or it was predictable yet you didn't have sufficient experience & knowledge to predict it. In this case there's nothing you could have done, so don't beat yourself up about it.

ii) after you got out, the market later gave a signal that the big move was coming i.e. it was predictable. Yet for some reason you either missed the signal, or didn't act on it. In this case, you have to work out why you missed or failed to act on the signal, and make sure next time you don't repeat that mistake.

So - trades where you exit too early can sometimes be just bad luck, and other times they can be the result of a mistake or oversight on your part. Work out which is which, and adjust accordingly.

#25     May 17, 2009