mental recovery

Discussion in 'Trading' started by man, Dec 11, 2002.

1. nitro

nitro

Gann,

You should take up Go. Computers are now the best Othello players...

nitro

#11     Dec 12, 2002
  2. #12     Dec 12, 2002
  3. >You wait till the opponent makes a mistake then you take >advantage of the other's mistake and lead him into his defeat.

Yeah I think that's what Market is waiting with us :)

#13     Dec 12, 2002
  4. Go? Maybe I should...

I agree with computers becoming too strong, I can't beat some of those computer Othellos program. I can't read beyond 6 moves ahead and some of those computers read the whole game ahead, they suddenly put stones where no person player would put too...

I might as well goto Yahoo! Go room and practice.... well before that I need to learn the rules... *wink*

#14     Dec 12, 2002

5. Either stop trading or trade insignificantly small... spend a great deal of time reflecting on what went wrong and why and, equally, importantly, devise a ruleset to minimize the chances of such a fate befalling you again...

#15     Dec 12, 2002
  6. man

man

It is amazing how "warm" all of your posts are. Actually I am currenty not suffering a difficult trading situation at all. I had several events that made me shiver during my time as a professional investor. But right now everything is fine, new strategies already running, others in the pipeline, future development organised. I am always very careful with my money management, but thanks to those of you who suggested stop losses and bet size reduction - I could not agree more with you.

Actually what had happened to me was that I had to fight myself out of a very difficult situation - not so much in terms of trading but in relation to business partners and that kind of thing. And I find out that it took much more of my time, my energy and my inspiration than I would have thought. My girlfriend told me that I hardly spend time with anything else - even when I was at home. It is not that I haven't done my homework in fighting burn out syndrom - I usually do not touch a computer at home, since I know I won't leave until my head is crapped with ExcelSpreadSheets or my eyes are covered with imprints of INTC charts. I always, even in worst crisis, spend reasonable time with my family. The thing my girlfriend meant was, that I was literally constantly absorbed by my fight.

Somehow this was a shock to me, cause I had to admit she was perfectly right.

Now let me ask my question in a different way. How do you, as a human being react in times of crisis? Where do you find your backbone? Where do you rest your head? I read in one very short post of brandonf that he suffered headaches - maybe his head need rest too. I mean that literally. This is a head business and heads need rest too. Not only breaks and workouts.

peace

PS It is amazing, I started several threads and always wondered about little interest. But in the very moment I included human feelings people responded in a very warm and comforting way. I sometimes see this business too much as a kind of fight, maybe. I felt quite moved 'bout your posts, folks. Thanks good I did not need it too much in terms of trading (knock on wood), but it was a great gift anyways. sneeze.

#16     Dec 12, 2002