Mental Imagery

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by ruggerman, Jul 29, 2009.

1. ruggerman

ruggerman

Hi all!

I'm looking for traders/brokers/investors who use or have used mental imagery in their trading to complete a short 10min survey for a research paper I'm doing.

Please drop me a line if you're keen to help.

Thanks.

2. so, you're looking for someone who's taken an MRI while trading?

3. Curving up, then down
    Resistance, support, break out
    Elliot wave, good bye

4. drcha

drcha

I'm not too sure what mental imagery is...

5. Redneck

Redneck

IMHO Sir

Mental imagery (aka visualization) – Is where you sit quietly and play something out, that you want to have happen, in your mind’s eye.

Akin to a movie or play inside your head with you getting results that you want….

I can’t do it… I’ve tried, but can’t.

If I sit in a chair, relax, and close my eyes – I go to sleep – or my mind wonders over hell and half of Georgia

NOW - That’s not to say it doesn’t work – because just as everyone is different – different things will work for different people.

It’s all about learning how you learn then using that technique to teach yourself / change your behaviors so to achieve your desired goals

FWIW - What does work for me is emersion – At least I think that’s what it’s called.

eta - emersion is NOT where I stick my head in the toilet even though some days I've honestly felt like it :p

Regards

RN

6. I really enjoy Mental Jewelry, by LIVE. Great first album!

7. ruggerman

ruggerman

Thanks RN for your great explanation.

If I may add to that, mental imagery is using all (appropriate) senses to create or re-create an experience in the mind.
    The more vivid these images, the more likely the brain will intrepret them as the real thing.
    In trading (and beyond), it's most effective for rehearsing plans, events, self control/discipline, evoking desired states (confidence) and installing new habits.
    i.e. a useful mental skill.

Hope this adds further clarity.

All the best.