Memory speed vs. memory timing??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by digdeep, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Yes,

Grab the Celery processor by the corners and spin it across the top of the water in a pond. For a moment . . . but only a moment . . . the Celery processor will be faster than any other average processor.

Donate that thing to a school and pick up a Quad Core for under a thousand.

#11     Nov 4, 2007
  2. gnome

gnome

1. Celeron is the name Intel has used for its budget processors. But the Celerons of new are waaayyy better than the Celerons of old. I've got a Celeron 2.93Ghz rig which runs faster than my P4 from one series earlier. Bottom line... Celerons today are really quite fast, and only about 15% slower than their fully-cached contemporaries.

2. Many trading apps do nearly 100% of their work in RAM. The CPU is used to boot, download, close and load various programs, initiate functions, etc. That is, during a trading day the CPU is actually used only momentarily off and on. Perhaps 99% of the time, the CPU is being used <10%. (The only times I've seen the CPU in use is when calculating "custom indicators". If you're doing something similar, upgrading will speed things up. Otherwise, any speed gain will be minimal.)

If you're sure your apps use the CPU heavily/continuously [check Task Manager a few times during the day], then you'll benefit from a new C2D rig. Otherwise, replacing your Celeron will increase your speed mostly at boot, shutdown, and loading apps.... the rest of the time the CPU will be nearly at idle.

#12     Nov 4, 2007
  3. digdeep

digdeep

If I am matching the speed of the RAM with the the bus speed of the motherboard, should I too match the FSB of the CPU?

It's difficult to find AFFORDABLE RAM with a frequency of 1333Mhz - so was going to get 1066 instead... motherboard should accomodate either 1333 or 1066 - but should I then get the Intel Core 2 Duo 6750 @ 1333Mhz or the Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 @ 1066Mhz. Or does the FSB of the CPU even matter with respect to matching speeds of RAM and motherboard?

#13     Nov 4, 2007
  4. gnome...thanks for the information.i have a laptop with 2gig ram on a celeron.seems to be running slowly.thought it might be the processor.
    anyway.many thanks

#14     Nov 4, 2007
  5. gnome

gnome

Laptops generally sacrifice some performance for battery life.

A collection of schmutz over time can cause a slowdown... have you done a fresh install of OS within the last 6-12 months?

You might also have many programs running at startup. This consumes not only RAM but "resources". You might try not starting whichever programs you can do without for trading.

#15     Nov 4, 2007
  6. 1066 should be great. Buy what you can afford.

#16     Nov 4, 2007
  7. ok.thanks gnome

#17     Nov 4, 2007
  8. digdeep

digdeep

Thanks proflogic - how important is it for me to match FSB of CPU with memory and motherboard - should I go for the better processor Intel Core 2 Duo 6750 @ 1333 / or Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 @ 1066 ( the 1066 will be the same as my memory & motherboard) - or does it even matter?

Thanks -

#18     Nov 4, 2007
  9. um, no. error in memory won't display wrong data on your system,it will simply hang and crash, ram has come a long way since 20 years ago and this type senario in a trading enviroment will most likely never happen.

#19     Nov 4, 2007
  10. mekas

mekas

The primary reason for buffered (aka "registered") memory is to be able to support larger amounts of onboard memory.
    The memory bus can only drive so many chips directly and buffering takes some of the load off the bus.
    It's usually only used if the motherboard supports more than 4gig.

#20     Nov 4, 2007