Mel Gibson: "Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by PLATO2, Jul 29, 2006.

1. PLATO2

PLATO2

He was arrested for driving drunk. It shouldn't take alcohol to have the truth slip past your lips. What might his father have blurted if he had been arrested?

2. I thought it was a statement by Jesse Jackson there for a minute.

3. Shouldnt this be moved to the brand spankiong new POL/REl forum?

4. The new chit chat moderator (self appointed) speaks.

5. I say take anything on a police report with a serious grain of salt. I know from experience that some police officers have a serious chip on their shoulders about anyone they perceive as "snobs" and are more than happy to twist things they say.

6. Why are you siding with Gibson, who has a history of drunk driving and related behavior, and who has been previous accused of anti semitism?

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Page=\Culture\archive\200311\CUL20031107c.html

7. Huh??? What in clay's post makes you charge him with 'siding with Gibson'???

Seems to me he is expressing his opinion that we should wait to convict Gibson of these charges until the evidence can be analyzed.

I have some vague idea that Gibson has been known to voice anti-semitic sentiments in the past. If this is true, he is just as weak-minded and contemptible as all the other anti-semites on here (and there are a hell of a lot of them, it seems).

However, you know sweet fuck all about this incident. clay and I also know sweet fuck all about it. We are trying to act appropriately. You are all over this story like a fat kid on a Smartie, in two threads no less. What are you doing??

8. O, my personal views of Mel Gibson are that he should charter a plane with Greg Norman and go back to Australia. I simply do not put much more creedence in police reports than I do journalist reports.

9. I like Gibson's movies. Braveheart was fantastic, Passion of the Christ searing (Zzzz, you should see Passion. A spiritually-deprived person like yourself may learn something from it.)

If Gibson really made the statements alleged by the police report, it would be greatly disappointing.

10. UPDATE: *Gibson issued a lengthy statement today apologizing for his drunk driving arrest and saying he has battled alcoholism throughout his life. the Oscar-winning filmmaker also apologized for what he said were "despicable" "out of control" statements "that I do not believe to be true" made to the deputies who arrested him early Friday morning on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu. But though his statement seems to confirm he made the anti-Semitic slurs, it does not specifically apologize for them. And that's going to embroil him in even more controversy, I predict. "After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed. I drove a car when I should not have, and was stopped by the LA County Sheriffs. The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person. I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said. Also, I take this opportunity to apologize to the deputies involved for my belligerent behavior. They have always been there for me in my community and indeed probably saved me from myself. I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse. I apologize for any behavior unbecoming of me in my inebriated state and have already taken necessary steps to ensure my return to health.” Gibson's publicist Alan Nierob declined to elaborate beyond the statement.*

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.c...legedly-made-by-mel-gibson-during-dui-arrest/

Lt. Steve Smith, in charge of the detective bureau for the Malibu/Lost Hills station of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, confirmed to me just now that "the contents seem to be similar" between the official reports and the four pages posted by TMZ.com on the Internet alleging Mel Gibson "blurted out a barrage of anti-Semitic remarks" -- "fucking Jews" and "The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world" and asking the arresting deputy "Are you a Jew?" -- during his DUI arrest early Friday morning. Smith denied TMZ.com's charge that the sheriff's department was involved in a "cover-up" of Gibson's alleged anti-Semitic tirade detailed in deputy Jim Mee's first arrest report. "TMZ has learned that the Los Angeles County Sheriff's department had the initial report doctored to keep the real story under wraps," the website claims. But Smith told me emphatically, "There's no whitewash. I've seen the first report, and the supplemental report, and it looks to be the same thing as what's on the Internet. The contents that are on the Internet are covered in both those reports." That is the first official confirmation from the Sheriff's station that Gibson's alleged anti-Semitic rants are included in the official reports about his DUI arrest.

#10     Jul 29, 2006