Medved QuoteTracker

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by laj, Mar 31, 2005.

1. mokwit,

What you are requesting is not in the scope of our software. To do scans, you need to have the data on all the symbols being traded. QT only has data on the symbols in the user's perfolio.

Even doing scans within the portfolio on technical indicators is problamatic. Yahoo can do it because they DO have all the data and the scan is not done on your computer so they are not restricted by the CPU of the client machine.

#41     Jan 15, 2006
  2. mokwit

mokwit

Jerry, I understand your point but Yahoo already does it. QT does not have to calculate it just has to take the field from Yahoo.

I am only suggesting the ability to display the field in users portfolio, not scan the whole market. I would then be able to rank by % as with other fields. Being able to set alert on a preset % from MAV or 52wk would require some coding but I suspect simple. I am just asking it to recognise a value in a field coming from Yahoo and to alert when my preentered figure for that ticker or globally is hit.

Will forward example fields as displayed on Yahoo

#42     Jan 15, 2006
  3. that assumes that the user is using Yahoo for the datafeed. We do not pole Yahoo, nor want to for every symbol in your portfolio. Also keep in mind that QT is not just for US securities. We do not want to make features very datafeed specific.

#43     Jan 15, 2006
  4. mokwit

mokwit

I acknowledge your point, but I feel there is a case for this as I have seen soooooooooo many requests on ET for the ability to find stocks near MAV that I feel you should consider adding this capability, especially as Yahoo is available to all and for virtually all markets. I am using QT for Thai equities. Many US fields that would be extremely useful are unavbailable for Thai equities, but this one I suspect is available for ALL markets and therefore universally useful.

FYI I have been using QT just to alert me when old favourites reach a level set by me and have paid all my bills this month trading cash equities just on that. It is already a VERY :) useful tool, this would make it more so.

#44     Jan 15, 2006
  5. hans37

hans37

I have to disagree with rokafella.
    QT is the best software and service out there that I have encountered.

After much wasted money and time on other programs, it's the only trading software I need or use.

BTW:I just recently got a slate tablet pc , using clippings of Qt charts
    and the pen ink function , annotating a chart for a journal is both highly readable, quick and no longer a memory hog.

#45     Jan 15, 2006
  6. mokwit

mokwit

great idea !

#46     Jan 15, 2006
  7. mokwit

mokwit

Jerry,

Can I suggest a meeting halfway in light of your point "We do not pole Yahoo, nor want to for every symbol in your portfolio"

And my point: "Yahoo is available to all and for virtually all markets. and therefore universally useful" and that identifying a 200 MAV approaching is request that often comes up here.

What I request is in light of your point above (and mine) QT adds just the % to 200 day MAV field from Yahoo and the absolute value of the 200 day MAV from Yahoo. Just 2 polls that are applicable to all users and across all markets.

If anyone else thinks this would be a great addition to QT please say so, silence does not mean no support, it just means not readin this thread as I am sure you will agree this is a request that often comes up here.

#47     Jan 16, 2006
  8. I have been trading since 1978....

I have used most of the brokerages commonly mentioned on ET...
    and it is my humble opinion that:

For retail:

IB and QT

For leverage:

GENESIS

Note:
    If the GENESIS datafeed were made available to Medved´s QT this would be a big plus...and would be an unbeatable combination for US stocks....better than IB plus QT.....

#48     Jan 16, 2006
  9. mokwit - We do not want to add anything that polls Yahoo at all to the general release version. Neither does Yahoo. Trust me.

libertad - We looked at the genesis API. It was missing some key data fields (like HIGH, LOW, VOLUME). If that has changed, we can check again

#49     Jan 16, 2006
  10. I have a question about this program.

Can I put in Canadian stocks from the TSX?

#50     Jan 16, 2006