Medved Quotetracker or Sierra

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by traderob, Jan 28, 2004.

1. QT provides an excellent service...............

#51     Feb 1, 2004
  2. traderob

traderob

Just an update. Have been using Medved QT and am impressed. Great service on their forum and colorful and easy to use charts.

#52     Feb 12, 2004
  3. Now, when you have experienced both, can you compare QT with Sierra?

#53     Feb 12, 2004
  4. they are both great ...each has different advantages... however i cannot run both at the same time on the same IB data feed. i think it can be done but i am not so computer savvy.

#54     Feb 12, 2004
  5. traderob

traderob

Most important feature, SERVICE:
    Sierra - very good.
    Medved: Outstanding! Only pipped out for service first place by Wealth-lab . (buttontrader is champion - but is a frontend)

Pivot points:
    Sierra - I gave up on plotting pivot points. Apparently it can be done if you open 3 charts, do this that and something else, but after 3 hours I was still having hassles.
    Medved: one right click, one left click and pivot points are on the chart.

Overlay one chart on another:
    Sierra, about 3 clicks. But not much adjustment, so slightly untidy on the chart.
    Medved: can't be done. but they have a snyc button which automatically puts both charts at same time etc. making them easy to compare.
    hope they can add an overlay at some stage.

Medved can be hooked into wealth-lab - which makes for a reliable IB feed to WL.

Overall I like both programs and as they are both so cheap I will run both - from the same IB feed (yes, it can be done easily).

#55     Feb 13, 2004
  6. ROBERK......i am glad to hear that both sierra and QT can be run run from the same IB data feed. could you tell me where the info for this is located on the QT website .. or possibly tell me how to do this???? is it is not too difficult for you do so.......thanks in advance.....

#56     Feb 13, 2004
  7. traderob

traderob

Larry,
    I am assuming you can get both working, but at different times.
    If so the reason you are having problems running them together is probably that they are using the same client Id on TWS.
    I had the same trouble getting button trader to work while Medved was running. Support on medved told me to change the ID#
    "QT uses 0 as a default. You can modify QT to use another ID by editing the STOCKS.INI file while QT is not running. In the [STOCKS] section:
    IBCLIENTID=#
    where # is the value you want it to use. 0 is the default - Use another such as 2. The entry is not there by default. Create the line in the section, if necessary.""

To get INI file go to explorer (in accessories from program files) find QT and click on it and you will see a long list of files. One has STOCKS on it (with a cog icon). Then just add the line above with your choice of number. Then save it and Bobs your uncle.

There may be another solution as well, but I think this will work.
    Let me know if you have any problems and I'm sure we can get it figured.

#57     Feb 13, 2004
  8. QT does have something called "transluencency" where you can
    overlay one chart over another. Only works with XP I believe...

Put a chart on top of another, then right click the top part of the
    chart and you will get a slider where you can adjust the strength
    of the chart which is on top of the other chart.

I don't use it myself... but maybe some do...

V77

#58     Feb 13, 2004
  9. QT is a stellar product...represented by stellar people......

#59     Feb 13, 2004
  10. Hi Babe714,

I tried what you suggested to backfill my charts with Prophet.net to get the the preopen market in es for Friday and nothing happened. Does backfill only work for RTH?

Backwardation

#60     Apr 3, 2004