Medved Quotetracker or Sierra

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by traderob, Jan 28, 2004.

1. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

My charts are fine. Must be your feed.

#11     Jan 29, 2004
  2. This is interesting. I set up quotetracker and it is doing the same thing so I am not getting ES and YM data from IB although the data is on the quote board so there is a problem with the api of some sort. Any ideas?

#12     Jan 29, 2004
  3. Are you telling me SC indicators stay stuck on each and every bar?
    QT got past that blooper a year or two ago. My CPU drain is about
    2% using XP. With backfill, you have the last 5 days data which
    includes pre and afterhours if wanted. If you trade intraday then
    QT kicks SC's butt by a mile.... :D

I've checked out SC many times and there is no comparison at all...

#13     Jan 29, 2004
  4. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

If they fixed that particular problem, I'm happy for you. But I've revisited QT several times over the years and it's always something. I want something I don't have to worry about. I don't have to worry about SC. Whether anybody else uses it or not is immaterial to me.

As far as backdata, I have over a year's worth on SC. Helps immeasurably with backtesting.

#14     Jan 29, 2004
  5. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

You have the most recent Java plug-in?

#15     Jan 29, 2004
  6. That's cool. QT does not have backdata like SC.... :mad:

#16     Jan 29, 2004
  7. Send a note to the Medved's. They are quick with answers...

#17     Jan 29, 2004
  8. 1) QuoteTracker DOES have Backfill support if you use a quote source that has it. IB doesn't. Not for QT, Not for Sierra. If you use IQFeed, Prophet.net, eSignal, Money.net or one of the others that do have backfill support, then QT will have that.

2) even without backfill support, you do NOT start blank every day. We have had 5 day chart support for a long time now.

3) IB symbology in QT is documented at http://www.quotetracker.com/help/ib.shtml

GLOBEX:mad:ESH4
    GLOBEX:mad:NQH4
    DTB:mad:FDAX MAR 04 Must have 1 space before and after MAR
    ECBOT:mad:YM MAR 04 Must have 3 spaces after YM and 1 space after MAR

The symbol peculiarities (multiple spaces, etc) is not a QT thing. Those symbols are IB's.

4) If you were getting constant updates to QT software, then you must have been using the beta version of the software. The production version does not change for months. Beta changes can be daily. What do you expect when its BETA.

5) Gaps in charts - you have full control over the time periods QT displays on the charts and can omit days or adjust start/end times.

Having said all that, I know that there are certain things that QuoteTracker lacks - long term historical charts built directly by QT for example, backtesting, alerts on indicators. Some of those things will be taken care of by us in the future, others we leave to other programs such as Sierra, AmiBroker, Wealth-Lab and others. We are not trying to be everything to everybody and do not feel that you should always use QuoteTracker instead of Sierra or others. There is plenty of room for both products.

We are actually implementing an API that will let other programs such as the ones mentioned get streaming data through QT from any of QT supported data feeds, thus allowing more efficient interaction between QT and the 3rd party programs, so the user will more easily be able to run multiple systems at the same time, but without having to have multiple subscriptions or having to get multiple streams of data ont he same symbols that may be in the two systems.

#18     Jan 29, 2004
  9. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Actually, my original comment had to do with the data available, not backfilling. 5 days is certainly an improvement, but useless for backtesting. Assuming one wants to test a strategy, he then has to turn to another charting program. Why have two, which is the reason why I've had no reason to look into QT again.

As to updates, I wasn't using beta. The memory drain had been an ongoing problem.

No need to be so defensive, Jerry. Nobody is saying that QT is crap. The thread has to do with QT vs SC. I tried QT several times over the years and didn't like it. I like SC. What anybody else uses is completely immaterial to me.

#19     Jan 29, 2004
  10. sorry, didn't mean to be that defensive.

Yes, if you need backtesting, QT is not the program for you

Memory drain - thats one of the reasons we have not increased beyond 5 days on charts right now. Will be optimizing some things so that mem usage will not be so heavy when you have lots of data.

#20     Jan 29, 2004