Medved Quotetracker - Best Data Feed?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by slapshot, Mar 11, 2003.

1. IB Tick-by-tick/volume - IB is not tick-by-tick - meaning that the quotes are not going to be updated with every trade, though you will see at least a couple updates per second or more on active stocks.

This does NOT affect the accuracy of the volume. The volume represents cumulative volume for the day and is updated with the latest value constantly.

Both myTrack and IQFeed will work with 5 days of backfill in QuoteTracker. the current QT beta is max 5 days. May be increased in the future)

NOTE: The latest beta version (http://www.quotetracker.com/beta) supports IQFeed backfill for Interactive Broker's GLOBEX symbols (major ones like ES, NQ, SP)

IQFeed Pricing for use with QuoteTracker - http://www.iqfeed.net/quotetracker

IQFeed provides delayed quotes and backfill on all securities they support, even if you are not subscribed for the given exchange. Therefore, if you want to use IB for futures and just want backfill and a fast source for stocks that is not limited to 40 symbols, you can subscribe to IQFeed for $23 ($20+$3 for stock exchanges) and have it all. You can use IB as a source on the portfolio, IQFeed on the WatchList and IQFeed for backfill.

Jerry Medved
    http://www.quotetracker.com/

#11     Mar 12, 2003
  2. Jerry

While you are here, just wanted to ask, which datafeed is the:

1 fastest

2 most accuarte (indicators PREM etc)

3 most reliable

4 overall best

(judged on pure intraday data)

My understanding is that DTN, BMI, followed by S&P comstock rank pretty highly on all the above categories for futures especially as well as stocks.
    Also hear that bloomberg and reuters are NOT that good for trading datafeeds. Can you confirm this.

As you have obviously done a detailed comparison and analysis via quotetracker.com would appreciate your comments and advice.

#12     Mar 12, 2003
  3. We do not connect to BMI, Bloomberg, S&P directly, so cannot really comment on those.

We connect to Reuters Bridge for E*Trade (their MarketCaster datafeed). I am sure that is not the most representative version of their datafeed (at least I sure hope not) but from what I constantly hear from users, you have better choices out there.

speed - IB is actually one of the fastest to get the data displayed, particularly for Level II and futures. Compared them to a few feeds. So for futures, that may be more important than having every tick, depending on your style of trading.
    I have not had a chance to fully compare myTrack, so no comment on it.

IB has a number of drawbacks - not tick-by-tick. Max 40 symbols. Max 3 L II/MarketDepth windows. No volume provided on many securites. No backfill (historical intraday data).

Reliability - very rarely is there a problem with IQFeed, Marketfeed, myTrack from what I have seen. I also never have any issues (except late night) with IB, though I understand that a few others have. There are a few things that can be done to improve performance with IB - if you use QT as the primary display, then use a page on TWS that has as few symbols as possible. TWS takes a huge amount of CPU to update the display and if the symbol is tracked in QT anyway, you are just wasting those resources.

Its hard to recommend an overall best datafeed because there are significant differences in what they offer and price.

IQFeed has one of the best datafeeds overall - calculated indices, backfill, allows large # of concurrent symbols to be tracked, wide selection of securites, though no European markets.

I would also recommend MarketFeed, but they do not have futures. US Stocks and Options only. and no Backfill. It is more efficient than IQFeed though (bandwidth usage and CPU usage), is proxy friendly and VERY reliable.

#13     Mar 12, 2003
  4. opm8

opm8

Thanks regough. I confirmed that is indeed the price that horseman mentioned.

Does anyone know if Ensign would work if I sign up as a QuoteTracker user with IQFeed? I would think the IQFeed data stream would be the same...

--opm8

#14     Mar 12, 2003
  5. Thanks.

In fact, iqfeed is a product of DTN which has a great variety of brands and flavours.

#15     Mar 12, 2003

6. Is that the case for intraday data? Let's say a person opens the charts at 9 AM EST and then shuts off the computer (or TWS) at Noon EST, then re-opens it at 1 PM EST -

Are you saying that the data from the 9 AM - 1 PM period would be lost and irretrievable? There is no way to refresh and get data from the same intraday period?

Thanks for clarification.

If this is the case, which feed would you recommend?

Paul

#16     Mar 12, 2003

7. Sorry, what is "SDK"?

Thanks,

Paul

#17     Mar 12, 2003
  8. slapshot, Yes, with IB data, if you are not running the software gathering data for a period of time, your charts will have a gap. However, you can backfill using a different source - QT allows you to select a backfill source independent of the primary quote source. That was why I mentioned that you can backfill IB futures symbols using IQFeed now (you could always do that with stocks)

SDK - Software Development Kit - What QuoteTracker and other 3rd party software companies use to access myTrack data and trading. The fee is required by myTrack (monthly)

#18     Mar 12, 2003
  9. regough

regough

I suppose this is a little bit off thread but has anybody tried to get to Quotetracker message board?? When I try, it just hangs....

#19     Mar 13, 2003
  10. #20     Mar 13, 2003