Medium frequency (automated) system

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by dom993, May 24, 2013.

1. dom993

dom993

Over the past few days, I have been searching for repetitive patterns allowing for medium frequency trading (10-20 trades / day on 1 instrument) (CL).

I am using a 100-volume TF just like for my lower frequency strategies, but using faster settings, to generate about 10-times more datapoints to analyze.

It appears that although I can still find repetitive patterns, their edge is about 1/10th of what I have at slower settings, while the MFE/MAE is pretty much comparable ... my interpretation of this is, there is a lot more noise at the faster settings than the slower one ... or, may-be, I am using the wrong tools for that goal.

So my question is, is this doable at all (10-20 trades / day on 1 instrument, fully automated) ? Please, only say yes if you have achieved that, in which case I would appreciate any clue / suggestion.

Thanks in advance

2. I'm currently profitable with low(?) frequency trading (min. 2 trades per day, on average 3), fully automated. Can't see why higher frequency wouldn't be profitable, but in case of my system there aren't more trading signals per day. Just increasing the frequency wouldn't do the trick though, as you need certain movements to be profitable - it would require a totally different strategy.