Meditation

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by oldtime, Apr 29, 2012.

1. ocean5

ocean5

The ultimate goal of the meditation is to connect with The God.There is no other purpose.Everything else is Tamas.

Don`t waste your time researching,you`ll never be able to achieve Samadhi in the Yuga of Kali.Ashtanga,in wich Samadhi is the ultimate - 8th stage of the meditation is only recommended in Satya Yuga as it requires at least several thouthands years to achieve,besides,it could be a very dangerous path - you can pose yourself as the God(you got so much power at this stage and could do virtually anything.Semi-Gods give you a bow at this stage...) at this stage and next you don`t go to the spiritual world,but go to the lowest mineral and start the whole cycle all over again.Very risky and not practical.Better chant Maha Mantra.Maha Mantra is what recomended in Kali.Guru is a must,in order for Maha Mantra to be powerful you should hear it from the pure devotee first.

As for me,i don`t particulary like Yoga path- not as clear for me as the Mantra path.Read Prabhupada and chant Mantra

#11     Apr 30, 2012
  2. Wingz

Wingz

Great reply. I only understood the English words however :p

But you have alerted me to chanting, I always thought it was weird, but after meditating for a bit I'm more open to it, I'll try and incorporate some basics in the next few days. See if I connect.

Thanks

#12     Apr 30, 2012
  3. I just started meditating the classic way, sitting, relaxing, good posture, focus on breathing... a painting done by a friend took on new meaning... I think she experiences "oneness" with things and can express it on canvas.. she really is a remarkable interior decorator and designer..

#13     Apr 30, 2012
  4. PeggySue

PeggySue

Wingz, you are funny!

#14     Apr 30, 2012
  5. ocean5

ocean5

Consider me as vartma pradarshaka guru - the first who introduces you to Krishna.:p But next step,is you`d need a Siksa guru.Go to your local ISKCON and ask for Maha Mantra,ask on how our universe is designed etc..etc.Find answers on EVERYTHING.There is no vagueness there as in many religions - it`s a pure science,an instruction.Drop all the religions!

#15     Apr 30, 2012
  6. I would agree. When I was younger I could sit in the lotus position. These days, the best is sitting in the chair you use for trading, it is already designed for what it is you are trying to do. Then just shut everything off. I'm not opposed to setting a timer for 20 minutes.

#16     Apr 30, 2012
  7. #17     Apr 30, 2012
  8. I have been meditating too, first I thought it is easy, just sit down and do nothing. But read on it and realized there is much more to it.
    The attachment is a nice representation of the nine stages of meditation.

Here is a concise explanation of the nine stages of mind training:

http://www.shambhalasun.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=1612

and another longer one with explanation of symbology of that painting.
    http://www.dharmafellowship.org/library/essays/nine-stages-of-abiding.htm#first

I am still chasing the elephant ...

#18     May 1, 2012
  9. never could get into the lotus position Oldtime, but like you, I 'sit' in my trading chair

a classic of Zen literature is 'Zen Flesh Zen Bones' by Paul Reps, Nyogen Senzaki
    "When Zen Flesh, Zen Bones was published in 1957 it became an instant sensation
    with an entire generation of readers who were just beginning to experiment with Zen.
    Over the years it has inspired leading American Zen teachers, students, and
    practitioners. Its popularity is as strong today as ever.
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones is a book that offers a collection of accessible, primary Zen
    sources so that readers can struggle over the meaning of Zen for themselves. It
    includes 101 Zen Stories, a collection of tales that recount actual experiences of
    Chinese and Japanese Zen teachers over a period of more than five centuries; The
    Gateless Gate, the famous thirteenth century collection of Zen koans; Ten Bulls, a
    twelfth century commentary on the stages of awareness leading to enlightenment;
    and Centering, a 4,000 year-old teaching from India that some consider to be the
    roots of Zen. More »" http://books.google.ca/books/about/Zen_Flesh_Zen_Bones.html?id=m9CCTo258n8C&redir_esc=y

in the book - check your local library - is the 'Ten Bulls':
    "Ten Bulls or Ten Ox Herding Pictures (十牛; Japanese: jūgyū, Chinese: shíniú) is, in
    the tradition of Zen Buddhism, a series of short poems and accompanying pictures
    that are intended to illustrate the stages of a Mahāyāna Buddhist practitioner's
    progression towards enlightenment, as well as his or her subsequent perfection of
    wisdom." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Bulls

attached is a copy of the 10 bulls pictures

#19     May 1, 2012
  10. DT-waw

DT-waw

Is Kali yuga predicted to last 432,000 years?
    Hmm i dont think such fixed and long time frame could be designed by God itself.

I recommend Bashar speeches, extremely insightful.
    For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFsU7qBT75E&feature=related

Each and everyone of us create the reality.
    It is quite bizzare to divide the ever changing timeline into precise periods and tell people exactly what to do within each of these....

#20     May 1, 2012