Medicine or Wall Street?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by dazed101, May 21, 2006.

1. dazed101

dazed101

The plastic market in beverly hills is oversaturated with surgeons from shit ass schools who are greedy and only care about money.

#31     May 23, 2006
  2. thats why you move to Boca Raton, FL when you graduate

#32     May 23, 2006
  3. jerryz

jerryz

to live with the rats and hedge fund fraudsters.

#33     May 23, 2006
  4. dazed101

dazed101

really? hedge fund owners live in Boca Raton, FL?

Never heard of the place.

#34     May 23, 2006
  5. Let me just say that I know lots of M.D's and I know lots of traders.

One thing to point out is that there aren't many M.D.'s who are making 500K even in their peak earning years much less at 32. Let's assume that you're done with undergrad at 22, and then done with medical school at 28, then at least 2 years maybe as many a 4 years for your residency/fellowships. That puts you at 30-32 right there. At 32, you'll be lucky to pay your bills much less make a half a mil.

However from the ages of about 40 until you decide to retire you should do very well.

The vast majority of traders will never sniff 500K in one year much less every year. But there are some outliers who do quite well. Barriers to entry are quite a bit lower than being a MD.

Once you've been accepted to Med school the attrition rate of Doctors is virtually zero. Traders come and go all the time, even those that are trained at a Bulge Bracket firm. But more importantly MD's will never have a down year. Traders will.

Further, the skill sets of a physician and a successful trader are completely different and generally not compatible. I personally never have known a physician who has tried his hand at trading (not investing) that was even mildly successful. Of course, that is not to say they don’t exists but I’m just not aware of any.

BTW: Are you in or around L.A.?

#35     May 23, 2006
  6. dazed101

dazed101

Yes, I do live in L.A.

I'll graduate from college at 21, finish (if I go) medical school at 25, residency (surgical) 5 years (if I get into one), and then maybe subspecialize again for 1 more year: that makes me 31 with great earning potential. (hopefully, my parents will help me out with education costs) It just seems too long to me, which is my only complaint about this route.

Dr. Z, are you a practicing physician? If so, what do you practice?

riskarb, who posts on this board was also a doctor but had switched into trading and making much more now as a trader than he was as a doctor.

#36     May 23, 2006
  7. Neoxx

Neoxx

As a practicing physician, I can confidently say that if you pursue medicine purely from a pecuniary point of view, you won't get very far.

Most people don't realise what they really want out of life until their brightest opportunities have passed them by. Don't let that happen to you.

At the risk of sounding condesdending, my advice is to assess your priorities, and set your sights on more than just finances.

What kind of person do you envision yourself becoming? What kind of legacy do you want to leave?

And remember, everything doesn't have to be black or white. Your identity and your earning power are not dictated by your job.

IMHO, there are many similarities between medicine and trading. There is absolutely nothing to preclude you from pursuing both...

#37     May 23, 2006
  8. No, I'm not a Doctor. I’m a trader. I know many physicians as friends and clients. They’re mostly surgeons, radiologist and anesthesiologists; three of the highest paid specialties.

I can assure you that as a junior surgeon fresh off a fellowship at 32 while you’re trying to build a practice you will not be making anywhere close to 500K.... even in Southern California. Later on, in the right situation, maybe, but not for many years. Plus, as a surgeon you’re married to your practice. It becomes your “ball and chain.”

But there are sooooooooo many more considerations than money when it comes to a career choice. It’s been my experience that people who consider money important usually don’t go into medicine. And those who do consider money usually make the worst Doctors…and miserable people. It’s only later in life that money becomes important to physicians.

PM your email. I can have some people I know speak to you if you wish.

#38     May 23, 2006
  9. dazed101

dazed101

Yup, my parents tell me to follow my passion.

Well, many med school graduates have marketable degrees that will help them tremendously when starting clinics in areas that need more doctors.

#39     May 23, 2006
  10. i don't understand this, a doctor wannabe who wants to be a trader? you'll never be a doctor. end of.

from what I've seen in life, those who become doctors had the dream of becoming one before they were even fertilized.. now your weighing up your options?

few doctors are driven by the money-aspect of their jobs and even they'll admit they always have had the desire to help people in ways.. now u want to be a trader and put people in hospital..

having said that, ill tell you something, you won't see a single trader on wall st. in 20 years. I promise you that - you hear this from me.

go do your physics. - if you can. then be a quant. learn programming and automated trading - physics will help you immensely in this area.

people still think there are these unbelievable traders out there - but they haven't been on the floors to see how it's actually changing.. the big boys r now those from applied mathses who develop algoriithmic trading systems.

if i was you, i'd go be a quant - NO DOUBT. do a course in physics, engineering/applied mathematics/econometrics.. and learn programming..

if u can go to MIT, or cambridge, UK..

gluck

#40     May 23, 2006