Mechanical Trading versus Discretionary Trading...Opinions?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by NihabaAshi, Apr 20, 2002.

1. jem

jem

metooxx--

this is not meant as a challege0 I am just curious. I have met trend followers, and top and bottom callers and everything in between. What type of trade is a trade that no sane person would take, it seems to me that might be a perfect trade opportunity.

#31     Apr 28, 2002
  2. It is hard to say without getting into proprietary concepts, so forgive me if my example is a little vague.

Say the S&P, Nasdaq and Dow futures broke through major resistance, are @ their highs and flying; equity X is trending up following the market and stalls, reverses a couple of ticks and you buy a put on X, because a computer pattern happens to line up for a millisecond. Instant disaster.

#32     Apr 28, 2002
  3. ChrisM

ChrisM

I started, as many others with discretionary methods, however ended up in systematic
    trading, and that`s where I am for the last (profitable) 5 years.
    Trading systems is a whole large field of science (math, statistics) and its impossible to
    describe all aspects of that in the "Forum"`s post, but maybe these few observations be
    helpful:
    1. It is not easy to find reliable cyclical pattern in the markets. So If You want to do this
    for living diversification is a key - diversify strategies as well as the markets.
    2. I believe that most important in trading is losses management. System analysis can
    help You with that. This, combining with proper bet sizing (MM) is a key to consistent
    growth.
    3. On psychological side systematic trading is sometimes tough. Very often I get signals
    which I find in conflict to AT, however - discipline in system trading is a key, so I have
    to follow the signals. Then if I look at big picture, the results speak by themselves.
    4. Some time ago “Futures” magazine hosted few top traders. I especially like M.
    Muggiero`s opinion from that meeting: “the trader who can make without computer is
    like a guy who can throw a 100 miles per hour fast ball... that`s God given gift... but
    there`s a small percentage of people who can (do that)...” I think that explains the
    difference.
    5. The system can be simple, but managing funds and recognizing system`s efficiency
    requires professional knowledge and very well done analysis, which is the common
    problem of most system traders.

#33     Apr 28, 2002