Mechanical ES system

Discussion in 'Journals' started by jboydston, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Wow, Mr. Hershey, you are obviously very sophisticated, wise and experienced. I won't attempt to understand all that you've explained here in this thread. Perhaps this would be an interesting topic all it's own?

I would like to focus this thread on wether or not a mechanical system that backtests positively can be successful. I picked this system purposely because of it's obvious flaws. I am interested in evaluating the long term potential of mechanical trading.

Mr. Hershey, what would your experience tell us about mechanical systems? Is Optimized Backtesting irrelevant? Too optimistic?

#61     Apr 15, 2003
  2. tah

tah

Jboydston,

I briefly scanned the contents of your thread and I saw where you said that you would post the Tradestation perf. report, but I never saw it.

I would be interested in seeing how this system performs on a long term backtest. Do you use TS 2000i or 7.0?

Thanks,

tah

#62     Apr 20, 2003
  3. DblArrow

DblArrow

No more trades?

One thought I have continued to have - is that you have backtested this over this last bear market.

Seems to me that during a bull (however slight) that you would miss a lot of the profit of the upturn - but quickly catch the small corrections.....

Would you consider testing this on a perevious bull market and check the results.

Make 'em pretty, Chris

P.S. If I understand this, this is NOT a crossover system, taking trades when the 6 crosses the 63; but when prices penetrate those ma's? (bassocat5's indication)

#63     Apr 20, 2003
  4. dis

dis

Can't beat tradng with a 20/20 hindsight! :D
    ---

#64     Apr 20, 2003
  5. How about this scalping system:

tick chart

enter long on every tick preceding four consecutive up-ticks

enter short on every tick preceding four consecutive down ticks

stop is not necessary

take profit before the first tick in the adverse direction

Any comments?

#65     Apr 20, 2003
  6. Sounds like a job for that guy in that spoof article - that when he was arrested on charges of insider dealing after turning $800 into $350m in 2 weeks claimed he was from the future (as featured in another thread)... Wouldn't that be a neat trick though. :D

Natalie

#66     Apr 20, 2003
  7. hm done? boydston, your journals dont last eh.

#67     Apr 29, 2003
  8. tah

tah

traderkay, yes, I hear ya...I was kind of thinking the same thing. I never got a reply to my question to jboydson which is listed on the prior page.

tah

#68     Apr 30, 2003