Mechanical ES system

Discussion in 'Journals' started by jboydston, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Using a $1000 stop, the max drawdown is just that. Unless we get real unlucky right off the bat, 5-10K should do.

#11     Apr 9, 2003
  2. shyhh

shyhh

Trading SPY should yield the same result with 1/5th of the size. $200 stop is about 4% of your account.

#12     Apr 9, 2003
  3. shyhh

shyhh

I don't know whether i get it right but a max drawdown = to a single trade stop seem quite unlikely to me.

#13     Apr 9, 2003
  4. Right, I meant one would need 5-10K to trade this without blowing out. One might not feel comfortable with much exposure to the market, or percentage risk.

I just want to know if this will work or not. I know personally that it is working now. I've been doing it for several months. Even if successful this will not make you rich overnight. I need a long term strategy. That's what this is about. Can someone trade mechanically long term successfully? This not just for fun, I intend to make a living at it, if possible.

#14     Apr 10, 2003
  5. 4/9/2003

Long 883.50
    Stop & Reverse 876.25
    Short position still open

P&L -362.50

#15     Apr 10, 2003
  6. GMS..... your post on 4-09-03 should be read and re-read by all mechanical system traders repeatedly. It is the reason why i do not and/or cannot trade mechanical systems.

#16     Apr 10, 2003
  7. If you are serious about this, you should post time of trade .
    If you are really trading just with MA save yourself a time and add some directional filter before you run out of money.
    Walter

#17     Apr 10, 2003

8. 4/9/2003

Long 883.50 @ 8:00
    Stop & Reverse 876.25 @ 9:30
    Short position still open

P&L -362.50 [/B][/QUOTE]
    Commis = -5.60
    Slippage = 0

Net = -368.10
    YTD = -368.10

#18     Apr 10, 2003
  9. lost connectivity
    Can this not be solved via technology?

passing the wrong trading parameters
    What do you mean by this?

bad feed
    Does this happen often?

temp computer problems
    Again, can't technology be used to reduce this?

news/rumors
    Could this not move the market in our favor just as easily?

not getting filled at the price the system thinks it got filled at
    This is why we calculate in slippage. Do you knew a reason why this calculation is not sufficient?

tweaking your system (changes everything)
    The point of mechanical trading is not to have to tweak. Am I wrong?

Your nerves and quality of life
    The second reason I want to trade mechanical. Shouldn't this reduce stress? Do any of you feel that mechanical trading was more stressful?

My intention is not to criticize but to understand this once and for all. Thank you for your time.

#19     Apr 10, 2003
  10. What percentage of your trading stake is $362.50. Assuming that your risk is 1% of your account then we must conclude that the trading account needed to trade this mechanical ES system is at least $36,250.

Percent risk (money management) should also be a part of your trading system.:cool:

#20     Apr 10, 2003