Mecanicaly Trading the QQQ's

Discussion in 'Trading' started by jj_jere@hotmail, Apr 5, 2002.

1. jj -

The return of buying anything at 5 and selling it later at 34 is not 192% - it's always almost 600%. Nat logs have nothing to do with the calculation nor does being a daytrader vs. a position trader.

In your example, buying something at 5 and selling it at 10 and then buying it at 10 and selling it at 5. Your return is not (100%-50%)/2 = 25% it's ((10-5)+(5-10))/(5+10)/2=0% (i.e., ((total profit)/(total at risk))/(# of trades))

#11     Apr 8, 2002
  2. pretzel

pretzel

Hi jj,

I'd like to know more about your system. Is it the same as a bollinger band with length at 8 days and standard dev set at 1x (default is 20 days, 2x std.dev)?

Standard deviation of what? - 8 days of closing price?
    Historical average of what? - the standard deviation of the past 8 days?

Here's a mechanical system for the QQQ - http://www.wealth-lab.com/cgi-bin/WealthLab.DLL/editsystem?id=3812

Just type QQQ in the stock symbol box and press "Execute Chartscript'

Thanks,

pretzel

#12     Apr 8, 2002
  3. tom_p

tom_p

When time is involved, as it logically should be, natural logs have a tendency of creeping into these type of calculations.

#13     Apr 9, 2002
  4. AA; my point exactly, that's why I use log normal returns.
    Pretzel: I use the 8 day standard deviation of the daily price changes, based on opening price. Example: If in the past 8 days the daily standard deviation was .16 and the historical average is .145, I would be looking to sell. I would be looking to buy when the market becomes less volatile than normal, <.145.
    I looked at the Wealth Lab site and that program looks interesting. As I'm not familiar with their language, what is the exhaustion program's theory?

#14     Apr 10, 2002
  5. Does anyone have this QQQ code for TS6?

Or know where I can get it?

#15     Sep 1, 2002
  6. white17

white17

Maybe I missed it, but I'd still like to know how you are determining your exit of each trade. Is it mechanical or intuitive or voodoo ?

#16     Sep 1, 2002
  7. As soon as advanced mathematics gets involved, I know the system is going to suck.

aphie

#17     Sep 1, 2002
  8. What do you consider "advanced mathematics"? Anything that contains the words "standard deviation"? or "average"?

#18     Sep 1, 2002