meats

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by Rtrader2525, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Manin: www.com-trades.blogspot.com

Its free, nothing for me to gain, just hope to generate discussion on commodities and try to give a little back...

BTW: Feb Live/Belly trade coming back into attractive levels...may try to get into this one again...

#51     Nov 13, 2008
  2. Trader, Thanks, Much appreciated. What fundamentals do you follow for commodities? (obviously each product has there own) What sources do you use?

Is that Feb Live/Belly spread based on seasonality?

#52     Nov 13, 2008
  3. feb/jun piggies is a sell i got in yesterday at the absolute low (love when that happens) and I am working orders to add more as we speak. Got in the platty gold spread overnight, made an excellent profit for like 6 hours so i just dumped it. TX take a look at ap/jun live cattle. Everybody is sending old cows to slaughter right now and really ratcheting back. I think apr/jun looks like an excellent way to play it, let me know what you think. Aug/oct cattle is looking attractive to, although i dont think it will get to 8.00 plus again.

#53     Nov 13, 2008
  4. Shaqi

Shaqi

Gold heh - X

Palladium is going to the moon - im long today 211-

#54     Nov 13, 2008
  5. Manin: not sure what the seasonal is on a live/belly trade, I just liked it based on the spread chart and the technicals behind both of the underlyings. Tryed to get it at $6.00 today and if my guy on the floor woulda been paying attention he coulda got it I think. But thats what you get when you deal with the belly pit.

Rtrader: I'm not quite ready to buy the April/June on the live cattle, would like to see it back closer to 2-2.5. Also bailed on my short lumber today at a $1 profit just due to strength coming into the equity markets. Looks like that may be a good decision going into tomorrow.

My piggies still worry me, as they are likely to get stopped out tomorrow, but oh well, can't win 'em all.

#55     Nov 13, 2008
  6. Manin: don't look at fundamentals too much. Mostly just trade on the technicals. The only "fundamental" type stuff I use is seasonal charts, historic spread relations, and of course the carry when talking about grains. Otherwise, I just trade technicals, as I actually came from the realm of ER2 daytrading as my background. Now that that is a defunct product, I just trade the ags, with a venture into the ES and T-bond world every now and then. As far as what I use, DTN ProphetX for charts, news, weather, etc. X-trader for electronic orders, and a good man on the floor for the pit stuff.

#56     Nov 13, 2008
  7. anybody looking at the longer out cattle crushes??

I may toy with buying a June crush.

#57     Nov 14, 2008
  8. Manin: don't look at fundamentals too much. Mostly just trade on the technicals. The only "fundamental" type stuff I use is seasonal charts, historic spread relations, and of course the carry when talking about grains. Otherwise, I just trade technicals, as I actually came from the realm of ER2 daytrading as my background. Now that that is a defunct product, I just trade the ags, with a venture into the ES and T-bond world every now and then. As far as what I use, DTN ProphetX for charts, news, weather, etc. X-trader for electronic orders, and a good man on the floor for the pit stuff. [/QUOTE]

What contracts do you trade in the pits over elec.? ( I presume this is purely based on volume??)

#58     Nov 17, 2008
  9. Manin: I go to the pit with orders in: Bellies, Lumber, Feeder Cattle, Oats, Rice, and options in any of the ags.

#59     Nov 17, 2008
  10. thanks, is that just because of the volume on elec.?

#60     Nov 17, 2008