Measuring Choppiness

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by dima777, Aug 27, 2008.

1. how do you know it's choppy.. when you get stopped out a few times and it finally dawns on you..

"wow this is choppy!"

at that point you start playing the range.

hopefully sooner rather than later

#41     Aug 29, 2008
  2. dima777

dima777

thanks...and...bye

#42     Aug 29, 2008
  3. My measure is much better.

It's Chop = squareroot(4*N/pi^2)

#43     Aug 30, 2008
  4. Good post Pa(b)st:

The simplicity of the markets.... It moves from price level to price level, end of story, with something like an 80/20 ratio of equilibrium/trending.

ET is so much more entertaining when people are rude! Oh well, it's all relative. :)

Osorico

#44     Aug 30, 2008
  5. Much appreciated. :)

#45     Aug 30, 2008
  6. dima777

dima777

ok...lets continue with this line..:)
    here is my mega formula for choppiness:

Dima's Choppiness Index (DCI):

SUM OF INDIVIDUAL BARS' ABSOLUTE(HIGH-LOW)/ABSOLUTE(RANGE HEIGHT) for the last 20 bars

your turn...

#46     Aug 31, 2008
  7. gkishot

gkishot

I can guess that it might well be mere standard deviation from the mean for the given dataset. The smaller is the deviation the choppier is the market.

#47     Aug 31, 2008
  8. gkishot

gkishot

But before you look at standard deviation you need to look first at the average price change from the previous day for the given dataset. It has to be near 0 for the choppy market.
    So for a choppy market average price change should be near 0 and the standard deviation should be small. This is only my opinion.

#48     Aug 31, 2008
  9. Measuring how choppy something was is useless.

I'm not one of those "boo hoo all indicators are lagging" people, but chop indicators do lag.

Come up with an indicator that tells me how choppy it's going to be and I'll give you some of my profits.

#49     Sep 5, 2008
  10. dima777

dima777

I partially agree with you...i created a trend indicator with a choppy filter in it...the curious thing is by the time you have identified that the market is ranging (and you have moved to the sidelines)- it can be a few bars away from a major breakout...something akin to the bollinger bands squeeze....

#50     Sep 9, 2008