Meaninugless numbers in IB at night times

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by pvram68, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Steve_IB

Steve_IB Interactive Brokers

These meaningless numbers which appear are not generated by IB. OPRA have been testing their systems in the US evening and this has resulted in "bad prices" coming through the OPRA feed.

We have sanity checks, thus no clients should have had positions liquidated because of this issue. We are implementing a fix which should be released this week.

#31     Mar 14, 2006
  2. newbunch

newbunch

I assume this relates to option prices? How about the CBOE index prices (spx, tnx) at night?

#32     Mar 14, 2006
  3. alanm

alanm

Quote from plugger:
    If you have a legitimate complaint, fine, something should be done.

I think, though, it's still helpful to bring up an important issue like this and get it resolved, even if it doesn't currently affect you. Not only will it help others, but it might help you in the future.

That's why I bother to get involved even when things don't currently affect me - it's likely they will at some point, since I have traded and will probably trade in the future almost every instrument there is :) I'd rather see something fixed before it's a problem.

I don't know if it was as a result of this thread, or was already in the works, but it was good to hear that it's being resolved quickly.

#33     Mar 14, 2006
  4. plugger

plugger

"I used to trade futures in the night, but not actively doing it these days. But when I did trade in the night times, I don't remember to have seen any impact on my trading ability. "

Alright then. If these 'incorrect' numbers had no impact on your trading, what is the issue then? Do they bother you? Do you need to be reassured? What exactly is the issue?

As for the reason for my post, you are a time waster. It is people like you who have nothing better to do than to complain about trivial, bullshit issues. Eating up the the time of IB reps and keeping them from addressing real issues is the real problem.

At least Alanm stated that it had indeed impacted his ability to trade. He at least had a real problem.

While you're on your crusade, maybe you could contact the NYSE and let them know I'm not happy with the prices which appear pre-market. Sometimes a stock i hold will show a bid of 0.01 and an offer of 1000. It really bothers me. Please, please, get this corrected so the integrity of the system can be upheld for all obsessive compulsives.

#34     Mar 14, 2006
  5. pvram68

pvram68

Thanks Steve. That's the answer I'm looking for...Ram

#35     Mar 14, 2006
  6. pvram68

pvram68

I have my expectations from a system and I'll not considering reporting it from my end or attemting to solve it from IB end is a waste of time. If they feel they are free to say as much as I am free to choose my broker.

As regards your time, it is certainly does not appear to be more "valuable" even though I'll leave it to yourself to judge and figure out. There is a difference between criticism and cynicism which you are frequently crossing, and I pity you for your compulsive replies after I told you in no unclear terms to keep your comments to yourself.

No more replies from myside on this post.

-Ram

#36     Mar 14, 2006
  7. plugger

plugger

Certainly. I can see that you have very 'high' requirements for your trading platform.

"Why does IB TWS show absurd numbers in the night times? Do these numbers have any significance at all? For example, if a stock/option traded at 3.20 - 4.50 during the day, the night time valuation can show some weird number like $0.50 or $20.00 for example.

Of course markets are not trading at this hour, but it is not common to see even smaller firms show such numbers.

Is IB updating the accounts at which time this error happens? If so, can't they mask these values altogether at such times? Seeing no value itself may be preferable to seeing highly incorrect numbers."

You need a broker that with a 24 hour reassurance line. I can see the call now. "Yes Mr. Ram, you're okay. You're portfolio is okay. Everything is okay. Now you just go back to bed and don't worry about those 'absurd numbers' you see in the middle of the night. We'll mask those for you. Better yet, why don't you just close your eyes and it will all go away. Good night Mr. Ram."

:D :D

#37     Mar 14, 2006
  8. People with knowledge and experience, in the areas of software quality control, troubleshooting, and debugging, know that whenever you see nonsense data, you need to find out why and get to the bottom of the problem, even if it doesn't appear to be having a damaging impact. The mistake of ignoring nonsense data often allows a serious problem to persist, so that very disappointing impacts can be discovered in the future, even though they were not apparent at the time the nonsense data were first observed. I think that the person who raised a concern about nonsense data did something worthwhile, and I'm very sorry to see him subjected to the unfair, distorted, anti-social, and worthless personal attacks to which he has been subjected. This type of behaviour greatly limits the potential of EliteTrader. If people who carry on in this way were banned from the website, EliteTrader would then be able to accomplish far more to help serious traders than it already does.

#38     Mar 15, 2006
  9. plugger

plugger

You're right Jim. My apologies to Ram. Sometimes my sarcastic side gets the better of me. Just bad memories of client service from that side of the business.

#39     Mar 15, 2006