MD or Trader

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Slide, Feb 28, 2009.

1. the1

the1

I was planning on going to medical school when I was finished with college but cold beer, fast cars, and hot women got in the way. Instead, I got into trading. I'm a pretty good trader and I make about as much as I would as a doctor but if I had to do it all over again I would pick medicine in a heartbeat. The stress of trading can not be over-emphasized. It's incredibly stressful even when you are making money. I would think becoming a doctor would be more fulfilling but everyone has to find their own calling. I think I missed mine.

#11     Mar 1, 2009
  2. Fishaman

Fishaman

I'm a practicing physician and surgeon in my late thirties. I also love to follow the markets and trade. Overall, I'm glad that I completed my medical training and have the ability to do what I do.

Think of your day job as a way to fund your trading account -- besides it's healthy to get away from the computer screen for a while and interact with people face to face.

Focus on your patients and learning all you can during your residency -- trading will still be here when you're through. The opportunity to practice medicine may not come around again.

Even in tough economic times, competent medical care is needed. It's nice to know that you can provide for yourself and your family as a physician. I know guys who are practicing onto their late 60's. I plan to retire early, but if things ever get tight, it's nice to know I can begin a practice again if needed.

Good luck to you and enjoy the journey.

Fishaman

#12     Mar 1, 2009
  3. Trading can take a very long time to learn, and even after putting in the time, there are no guarantees of success.

You put in 5 years and you can secure one of the highest and most reliable income streams society has to offer.

The markets will always be there.

Become an MD and swing trade on the side.

#13     Mar 1, 2009
  4. I'd finish medical school and work at least some years as a physician. In contrast to other professions, the "real" education for doctors starts after university, so leaving the medical field right after university could bring you into great trouble should you reconsider medicine as a career in a few years. The MD certificate itself is nearly worthless without a residency or at least some years of work experience.

I'm in a similar position btw. but have already made the decision to do my residency even if that means I will have zero time for trading during that period.
    Being an MD has lots of advantages, but it can also ruin your (social) life and your health... I don't see myself slaving away in a hospital till I'm 65.

#14     Mar 2, 2009
  5. You cannot do both.

Pick a path and stick to it.

Trading is risky, but it is rewarding too... IF you make the "cut." No steady paychecks...and sometimes it can be rough being under capitalized. It is a long, hard, bumpy, muddy, slushy, stinky, curvy, winding road..

Best of luck..

#15     Mar 2, 2009

6. Obviously this is subjective...

What is more stressful, trading or cutting someone open for a heart transplant?

:D

I'd say trading is moderately stressful, but not nearly as bad as doing an operation on someone!!

#16     Mar 3, 2009