McDonalds is hiring.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Jul 4, 2009.

1. S2007S

S2007S

How many people here actually eat this type of food????

The last time I had a burger from there was around 2 months ago and the last time before that was probably more than 7 years ago. I would rather buy a loaf of bread and make a true Peanut butter and jelly sandwich before I eat that garbage.

#31     Jul 5, 2009
  2. MattF

MattF

It's very disturbing when companies like that are the "only ones hiring."

I have a regional gas station chain in my area. They are (almost) always building new stores it seems.

Either way, the ones I go to a lot, every several weeks I see new faces in there and then others gone. The turnover in there must be incredible between transfers, kids refusing to work/quitting/getting fired, others doing the same, etc. And those pay probably about $8-9/hour to start...which in some cases IS better then McD's...

But, people hold out trying to get a better gig. Not going to happen right now. Unemployment does pay about the same as working 30-somewhat hours a week, but people get so demotivated, they don't go find something while they are on it...then when it runs out, well...good luck!

Overall average ratio of qualified applicants to jobs is between 5:1 and 10:1 taking everything into account. If you ever looked at these service-type jobs only, it's like 25:1. I applied for a state job last year being a service worker just for kicks...paid like maybe $28K/year. 100+ applicants for about 4 jobs. Wouldn't be surprised if they pulled the positions after because of all the state budget problems.

Most hiring signs are to also collect apps as mentioned above...that way they have more than enough.

#32     Jul 5, 2009