McDonald's coffee bars to take on Starbucks

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, Jan 7, 2008.

1. I live in a "city" of approx. 45k people in Masachusetts.
    We're a little saturated with coffee.
    Starbucks: 3 stores
    MacD's: 3 stores
    Dunkins: 5 stores
    Not to mention several smaller independents.
    Although 1 of the McD's is a new format with sofas, lcd tv and gas fireplace. Still........

#21     Jan 7, 2008
  2. yeah but are the girls in SBUX nerds and/or stuck up yuppies? lol.
    I avoid that place.

Lots to see at www.ihatestarbucks.com

#22     Jan 7, 2008
  3. Also fake as in they try to sell you THEIR version of culture (music CDs and stuff), stupid coffee names, very wasteful practices (so many cups and sleeves,all ending up in the trash).

As per http://www.ihatestarbucks.com/bb/ it seems they promise benefits to emplyees but then not schedule enough hours to actually qualify them for benefits. All smoke and mirrors, imo.

I am sure the couch is comfy but the last time I walked by an SBUX it was full of people sitting alone, not talking, reading or on laptop. Looked like a funeral home in there. Whereas in a normal coffee shop you have people talking, laughing, even kids around.

It was very creepy!!

#23     Jan 7, 2008
  4. check out this thread for a glimpse of how fake, soul destroying, and evil they are for employees. :

http://www.ihatestarbucks.com/bb/topic.php?id=82

oh yah, they call them "partners" lol. Sure beats Wage Slave.

More on topic, see this:

http://www.scottweisbrod.com/index.php/?p=229

Is Starbucks a brand in decline? Starbucks chairman Howard Schultz sent a memo to senior executives at the company last week in which he said:

“we have had to make a series of decisions that, in retrospect, have led to the watering down of the Starbucks experience and what some might call the commoditisation of our brand.”

Reasons for this commoditisation, outlined in the memo, include

#24     Jan 7, 2008
  5. The same can be said for the SBUX here in Tampa/St. Pete area. You'll mainly see bored mortgage brokers, college students, or yuppies preaching their conspiracy theroies.

I've noticed that the tail flocks in there around 5-7pm right before they hit up the gym. I do a couple sets of curls and upright rows, put on a tank top, and I'm god in there. The personal drink preparation table w/ the half and half and sugars is where all the magic begins. :D

#25     Jan 7, 2008
  6. I read somewhere that upright rows are bad for the rotator cuffs. (At least the close grip variety, if I am not mistaken.)

#26     Jan 7, 2008
  7. 50% of dating in Chicago revolved around the local Starbucks. SBUX until 5pm and then Adobo Grill until Midnight.

#27     Jan 7, 2008
  8. That shit you're taking is estrogenic. Aren't you curious as to why you're crying at the GEICO ad? :p

#28     Jan 7, 2008
  9. I think he's speaking metaphorically. Yes, upright rows and raises are shit.

#29     Jan 7, 2008
  10. *Taking notes*

I'll have to test this hypothesis myself.

What's the chick to stick ratio like there??

#30     Jan 7, 2008