McConnell's going to block the impeachment trial from happening in the Senate

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Cuddles, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Cuddles

Cuddles

WeToddDid2 likes this.
  2. Cuddles

Cuddles

We have a Constitutional Republic they said...

https://nypost.com/2019/09/28/repub...ch-mcconnell-to-kill-trump-impeachment-trial/

Republicans want ‘Grim Reaper’ Mitch McConnell to kill Trump impeachment trial

Some Republicans are hoping Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell will again play the role of Grim Reaper — and kill any vote or even debate on whether to oust President Trump, should the House impeach the president.

3. Certainly the dems in the senate who do not want to have to go record on an impeachment vote are hoping for this.

They are more worried that Mitch will force the vote.

Of course Mitt Romney wants his chance to vote for impeachment because Preparation H did not work for his butt-hurt, but whatever.

4. LS1Z28

LS1Z28

I guess it's possible, but McConnell has made no indications that he would do that. Most republicans believe that a failed impeachment process would work towards their favor in the 2020 elections. Blocking the trial would likely have the opposite effect.

TreeFrogTrader likes this.
  5. Cuddles

Cuddles

I think it's worse than that. If he blocked the effort and SCOTUS backed him up (because the "constitution's wording is not implicit in forcing the Senate to do so"), then there goes any constitutional means of removing a president. I feel like he'd do it to get the extra time as it goes up the courts. Wouldn't be the 1st unconstitutional action from Moscow Mitch as was seen by the blockage of Merrick Garland.

6. Also, Trump and Mitch need to think longer term.

What's the first thing the dems are going to do if Trump is re-elected. Correct. They will start right in with another impeachment. If he were in his second term, then they might just find a way to brush it off with parliamentary moves but he needs to be able to make a case that the dems had their little fun and it is over. Versus it was blocked.

He also needs to detroy some senators and congressment by letting them be forced into going on the record for impeachment. That will make them and the others think twice or thrice about how more times they want to go down this road in his second administration. If you let them dick around but then let them off the hook by not forcing a vote it only encourages them.

You put the gun up to the President's head- you either pull the trigger or you take it down. There will be weasels in the house who will vote for impeachment but say that they just voted for it move forward for the actual trial in the senate where more facts would be looked at. Sorry, but Homey don't play that game in politics. The RNC has a HUGE target on your back now and plenty of money for ammunition and they are not going to be spending it in progressive districts on reps that have already come out in favor of removing him. They will spend it on the weasels who try to play both ends and the middle.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  7. Cuddles

Cuddles

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/do...d-have-hold-trial-if-house-impeaches-n1059771

McConnell says Senate would have to hold a trial if House impeaches Trump
    "I would have no choice but to take it up," the Senate majority leader told CNBC on Monday.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Monday that the Senate would have to hold a trial if the House passes articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump.

"I would have no choice but to take it up," the Kentucky Republican told CNBC.

“How long you are on it is a different matter, but I would have no choice but to take it up based on a Senate rule on impeachment.”

McConnell's comment to CNBC echoed one he made to National Public Radio in March, when he said,"If the House were to act, the Senate immediately goes into a trial." But when asked the same question last week, McConnell told reporters he wouldn't engage in "hypotheticals."

8. Yes, turns out your first couple posts in this thread were/are bullshit.

As I said in response, "the dems are more worried that Mitch will force the vote" and put them on record.

You are welcome.

9. Cuddles

Cuddles

Moscow Mitch has never flip flopped :rolleyes:

10. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

McConnell will block the impeachment process, they said.

#10     Oct 1, 2019