McCain Says Congress Should Stop Giving Aid to GM, Allow It to Go Bankrupt

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ASusilovic, Mar 8, 2009.

1. But you have no problem with your tax dollars saving the skin of the people that caused the problem in the first place?
    At a minimum I want the resignation of Frank, Dodd, Pelosi, Reid and the entire black caucus. I want the assets of every single banking exec seized, and a stipulation that they cannot hold any position in any publicly traded company. Further, they cannot hold any political position, elected or appointed. Further yet, they cannot hold any position with any organization, domestic or foreign, that does business will any publicly traded company or any aspect of the government, federal, state and local. In short, they can be the asst. mgr. at the local hot dog stand, or they can do 5 years in a state penitentiary.
    Then and only then would I be OK with seeing GM go down.

#51     Mar 9, 2009
  2. I agree with all you just said.I'm just ranting on GM because this is a GM thread :) :)

I wish we had Ron Paul as president and Ron Paul clones in every position in Congress

#52     Mar 9, 2009
  3. gnome

gnome

Your rant is on track... but that's a different issue from GM's non-competitive situation, don't you think?

#53     Mar 9, 2009
  4. Don't you think that the current economic situation brought on by congress and the banks has exacerbated GM's non-competitive issues? I know it's throwing money down a rat hole, but somebody has to pay a price for this besides the working stiff, gosh darn it. :D

#54     Mar 9, 2009
  5. gnome

gnome

No. I think the crapola piled upon us by Gummint is an entirely separate issue from GM's non-competitiveness.

GM has high costs (legacy, too) from UAW contracts. The UAW, and all unions, promoted an artificially high standard of living enabled by the lack of competition. But now, with globalization, union's high wages and benefits make them non-competitive. Either they will accept this and adjust downward or perish... no choice, regardless of however painful.

The "laws of economics" don't go away just because they are unpleasant for some.

And BTW... "the plan" is for [almost] EVERYBODY TO PAY THE PRICE FOR EVERYTHING.. except for Gummint, of course.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

#55     Mar 9, 2009
  6. Sorry, but the poster was much more correct than you were.

#56     Mar 9, 2009
  7. You need to stop letting the random thoughts which stream out of your brain get onto your computer.

The main problem for the US carmakers was UNIONS. PERIOD.
    The union workers are multiply stupid, and have been shooting themselves in the foot for years. Only union workers try at every turn to screw over their companies to line their own pockets. They strike at vulnerable points, to try and cripple the company that pays their livelihood. What other industry gets lifetime medical for their retirees? Or outrageous wages for essentially nonskilled work? That is a huge, resource-draining expense to their bottom line. Why do you think foreign automakers who open plants here, stay away from the insanity that is union-friendly states?

Growing up, I watched several unions put their employers out of business in my area. Most NONunion workers attempt to do the opposite - help their companies MAKE money so they themselves have a job.

#57     Mar 9, 2009
  8. German workers with Opel ( GM ) just offered to forego salary in double diggit % terms in order to keep their jobs !

In German language :

http://de.news.yahoo.com/2/20090309/tts-zweistelliger-lohnverzicht-fuer-opel-c1b2fc3.html

#58     Mar 9, 2009
  9. gnome

gnome

#59     Mar 9, 2009
  10. McCain justs wants GM to come full circle. He was there when GM was founded, he wants to be there when they go under, and he's running out of time. Cindy can only keep him alive so long. :eek:

#60     Mar 9, 2009