McCain is the Risky Choice

Discussion in 'Politics' started by kut2k2, Sep 1, 2008.

1. kut2k2

kut2k2

... says conservative David Frum:

The longer I think about it, the less well this selection sits with me. And I increasingly doubt that it will prove good politics. The Palin choice looks cynical. The wires are showing ... I'd guess that John McCain does not have a much better sense of who she is, what she believes, and the extent of her abilities than my enthusiastic friends over at the Corner. It's a wild gamble, undertaken by our oldest ever first-time candidate for president in hopes of changing the board of this election campaign. Maybe it will work. But maybe (and at least as likely) it will reinforce a theme that I'd be pounding home if I were the Obama campaign: that it's John McCain for all his white hair who represents the risky choice, while it is Barack Obama who offers cautious, steady, predictable governance. Here's I fear the worst harm that may be done by this selection. The McCain campaign's slogan is "country first." It's a good slogan, and it aptly describes John McCain, one of the most self-sacrificing, gallant, and honorable men ever to seek the presidency. But question: If it were your decision, and you were putting your country first, would you put an untested small-town mayor a heartbeat away from the presidency?

http://frum.nationalreview.com/post/?q=M2VhOWE0N2VkOWI3MDdlODRlZWE4ODljMDc2NjliZDk=

2. The concerns are all true and valid, but there are many considerations. What some call a "cynical and calculating" choice is by others seen as a bold and strong statement.

There is no denying that Sarah Palin seemingly is a politician with very strong integrity, inexperienced, popular as well as having overly conservative values for the majority of the population's liking... but she has both strengths and controversies. McCain made a decision that is confusing to most people and politicians - and everyone are responding to that by inventing strong points or rejecting the choice on perceived weaknesses.

The crucial point is not who is at the helm - because the truly important issue is what kind of rules and policies should be the underlying factors. Clearly, the republican presidency has been very damaging to defence, economy and diplomacy.

In today's media blitzed society - it seems personality and celebrity status is more important than the political decisions awaiting.
    :p